Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taken from ... https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90c11

Leaving child unattended
    (3) No person having charge of a child less than sixteen years of age shall leave the child without making provision for his or her supervision and care that is reasonable in the circumstances.

That leaves alot of grey area but still could be used pretty liberally by the authorities and the onus would be on you the parent to prove that you made provisions to satisfy. Certified babysitting course would be one of those I'm sure.

Comment

I'm fairly certain that the "authorities" namely, CAS and police departments have better things to do with their time than round up kids working at McDonalds or follow kids home from school, knock on the door and ask them questions and determine if they are capable of looking after themselves.

On the other hand, if independent complaints (substantiated with fact) were received by CAS or the police of child abandonment then I'm sure an appropriate investigation would ensue.

Both CAS and police are hip to parents' attempt to use the legal system to further their child custody disputes. I believe that everything comes down to money. If a parent were truly concerned about their children being left alone then I would take the 'concern' more seriously if that complainant offered to watch the kids andwaive his/her rights to an adjustment of CS. In other words, 'put money where the mouth is'..... Tis all but a game of manipulation IMO.

Comment

This has nothing to do with whether the children are capable of supervising themselves, and everything to do with the father being denied time with them that they are available for.

The time the mother is not available to care for them for an extended period, and the father is, should be spent with the father. Just because the children are legally allowed to make their own basic supper, do their homework and keep themselves safely occupied in the house for hours while their mother works in the evening does not mean that the time would not still be better spent with their father.

Being with their father would give them an extra resource for assistance with homework, give them a more interesting selection of dinners and cooking tips, and the opportunity to have evening activities out of the house, like swimming lessons or clubs or whatever they may find interesting. And above all, a better chance for him to be part of their lives, find out how their day went, offer feedback on their personal issues, and just generally be a loving parent.

Just because they are old enough to be by themselves does not mean it is in their best interests to do so when it's such an extended amount of time that could be spent with the other parent.

Don't focus on it being a need for supervision, or that they don't need to learn independence. It's about maximum contact with each parent and everything that time with them can offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
          Don't focus on it being a need for supervision, or that they don't need to learn independence. It's about maximum contact with each parent and everything that time with them can offer.
          Reread Rio's entire post. Some great points!

Comment

Indeed very well said Roie. I think the amount of time and when, becomes a big factor in this case. If it's 1 hour a day after school till Mom comes home or is it all evening?

Comment

After 14 hours of arbitration meetings with myself, my new wife, my Ex and our 2 girls, I received the report today. The arbitrator states that I am an excellent father, that their mother is an excellent mother. That the girls like and get along greatly with my new wife. That I have wanted to be and have been an involved father from the very start. That the girls are very adjusted with healthy relationships with everyone.
              Yet, he will not change the current parenting agreement because as he says, the girls are happy so why change it? He is leaving it where the girls aged 10 and 13 are being left alone for lengthy periods of time while in their mothers care. Left alone by 6 am to get up and make their own breakfast and lunches ,then to get home after school on that same day and do their homework. Make their own supper and get themselves showered and ready for bed. She gets home around 8:15 pm.
              I am heart broken that once again, I am left as a second hand parent and the kids suffer for it. Wait until summer when they won't have school as a buffer during the day to keep them busy.
              I think I am finally giving up trying and will accept this once and for all.

Comment

Simply.....amazing.
                Were the kids asked about their situation? Did they get any say or offer any testimony?
                I have little doubt that had the roles/situations been reversed it would have been determined that what is in the best interests of the child would be to have the availability of a secure residence where an adult is preset and therefore more time should be provided for the mother...
                Again....amazing

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X