This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support of child when only one parent works

If my ex is on welfare ( by choice) then do I automatically reap the burden of all my childs expenses? I am paying my child support, but we haven't negotiated anything else yet. Am I automatically strapped with all his medical, dental, vision care, and all extra expenses? Anyone else been in the situation where their ex does not work and/or is on welfare?

Thanks
    GDGM

On social assistance the children may be covered for medical and dental, look into it. For outstanding amounts, it is relative to income, each pays their proportionate share based on the income amount.

I'm not sure about vision coverage while on social assistance, I'd look into that too.

Comment

For people on social assistance, any children automatically get dental and medical benefits. It is up to that person to utililize those benefits for their children. You don't need to pay anything towards those costs unless there are costs over and above what is covered by welfare. Those expenses would be delt with under section 7 extra-ordinary expenses. If you have in your agreement that you are to pay half of those, you pay half. If you have no agreement, the onus would be on your ex to take you to court to get it in writing according to your income, on who pays how much of those expenses.

Comment

So should I offer up my benefits to my ex...let her know that I have them now and I can take care of our son? I would like to take care of these expenses, but nothing has been settled with regards to "extra expenses" although I'm pretty sure that because she has no income besides welfare, I will, when all is settled, be held responsible for his medical benefits. I just don't know if I should offer it up before we negotiate all the outstanding issues. The only thing that has been settled thus far is the child support, which I pay directly to support enforcement.

GDGM

Comment

Pay now or pay later

I would cover your son on your benefits. Adding more stress to the welfare system is asking us to pay for your son.....
          If you ever need to go to court it will look better for you if you have your son on your benefits. You are not obligated to have your ex on benefits just your son.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X