This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly separated and need advice

I just told my partner this weekend that our 5 year common-law relationship is over. We have one son 4 years old. I own the house we live in and currently the provide the sole financial support to the household.

We have a lot of debts (mine and ours, not much of hers alone) although I make good money its just enough to keep us going and not much extra. I want and will move out as soon as possible but realize that financial considerations may make this hard to do.

What are the immediate things I need to do now? What do I not want to do/agree to that will make precedent later on or make the tax man unhappy? Can I move out now and have an interim support agreement between the two of us before we divide up property/debts? Can we still live together and be legally separated for tax purposes?

As far as custody is concerned I cannot take full-time or even regular part-time custody of my son once I move out because of my job. I am on the road at least 2 weeks a months as well as on call at other times. What kind of custody arrangements should I be considering?

Thanks

Do not move out of that house until after you have consulted a lawyer!!!!!!! If you do, you will be comitting cardinal sin #1 in family law!!!!

I mean it big time!!!!

You are going to be, or should be, flooded with responses saying the same thing.

Comment

Can you and your ex still get along? You really should speak to a lawyer, so youcan find out what your options are. But if you and your ex can come to an agreement that you both think is fair then that is the best.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X