X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spousal Support Retro Tax Deductable?

Hi,

Hoping someone can assist me. It's a long story but I'll keep it simple. We have a verbal on 32k spousal support, she owes me tons of $ from equalization. Agreed to pay 16k in the future and 16k will be deducted from equalization.

The 16k that I pay now can I retro for tax purposes without a court order? She has asked for spousal through her lawyer for a while now but at the same time she owes me from withdrawing many funds from our joint account. If I can retro how far back can I go for tax purposes? I have done much research but I cannot find a clear answer.

Many Thanks,

Originally posted by DivorceExhaust View Post
    Hi,

Hoping someone can assist me. It's a long story but I'll keep it simple. We have a verbal on 32k spousal support, she owes me tons of $ from equalization. Agreed to pay 16k in the future and 16k will be deducted from equalization.

The 16k that I pay now can I retro for tax purposes without a court order? She has asked for spousal through her lawyer for a while now but at the same time she owes me from withdrawing many funds from our joint account. If I can retro how far back can I go for tax purposes? I have done much research but I cannot find a clear answer.

Many Thanks,
    The tax law says the support paid must be listed in the separation agreement to be eligable and in my case I could only go back 2 years.

Comment

Spousal Support Retro Tax Deductable

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply so the government recognized the tax deduction for 2 years back? I have heard you can only go 1 year back but I hear many things so I could be off.

Thanks,

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X