Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motion for Right of First Refusal

Hi all,

I am thinking of bringing a motion for "Right of First Refusal". My ex-wife travels 5 nights a month for work and leaves the kids with their grandparents. I want the kids to stay with me when she's traveling.

Background:
    -Separated in August 2019
    -October 2019, she reports me to police for historical abuse allegations against her. As a result, she has exclusive possession of the house and "de facto custody" of the kids.
    -Since then, she has only allowed me see my kids once a week, even though I was very involved all their lives.
    -I have criminal charges pending as a result of my ex-wife's allegations and am planning on going to trial to defend myself. As a result, I have NO CONTACT ORDER (so can't talk/email her).

Please let me know if I can bring a motion for right of first refusal. Are there any CanLii cases on this? What are my chances?

Thank you all so much.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Read: http://www.yoursocialworker.com/s-ar...st_Refusal.htm

As the parents enter combat over the right of first refusal, the game playing heats up. If the parent who is unable to meet their obligation uses a grandparent or allows the child a sleepover with a friend or other family member from their side, is that contravening this right of first refusal? This becomes a very sticky point, as both parents can be remarkably manipulative at withholding or at least not supporting the relationship with the other parent whilst coming up with ways to beat the rules.

This mess takes on the appearance of two young children fighting over the same toy and then hanging on to it for dear life to assure the other child doesn’t swipe it back.

Typically the best solution is for both parents to address their respective issues, whether it is unresolved anger at their former partner or jealousy that a new person may enjoy a relationship with the child. It may well be that one or both parents have to face their own insecurities that have little to do with the other parent specifically. Counselling is thus indicated.
    Good Luck!
    Tayken

Comment

Dear Tayken,
      Thanks for sharing the article. I actually read that prior to posting.

Was more curious if there were any specific interim motions around Right of First Refusal (which I could not find). I also went through the Family Law Rules and Best Interest of the Children Act and also could not find any clause.

Which I interpret to mean low likelihood of success through a motion I guess

Comment

Originally posted by rvalentines View Post
        Which I interpret to mean low likelihood of success through a motion I guess
        Correct. Considering your matter you have significantly bigger fish to fry. Do not try to boil the ocean or you will only drown in sorrow while attempting to do it.

Comment

Dear Tayken,
          You're absolutely correct. However, having read all the CanLii articles you have posted, I have concluded the following:

1. Shaw vs. Shaw where the judge ultimately provided equal time-sharing between the parents despite the criminal charges. His Honorable Justice Pugsley:
          Motions judge concluded that circumstances created by mother’s arrest and her subsequent release on terms of bail should have no effect on court’s decision for interim custody
          “Likewise, those events could not establish peremptory status quo in father’s favour, particularly when assault incident had nothing at all to do with children and when it had occurred month before mother’s arrest, all of which fed suspicion that father had kept that incident alive while he was deciding how best to exploit it to his personal benefit in final separation from his wife that he knew was inevitable
          —"

Also:

In Kimpton v. Kimpton, supra, it was noted at para.1 that “By status quo is meant the primary or legal status quo, not a short lived status quo created to gain tactical advantage.” This is echoed in Horton v. Marsh, supra, at para. 6: “The status quo which ordinarily is to be maintained is the status quo which existed without reference to the unilateral conduct of one parent, unless the best interests of the child dictates otherwise.”

What I take it is that criminal charges should not impact my motion asking for additional access and that the status quo is which existed prior to the arrest, not the one created to gain a tactical advantage.

Would love to hear your thoughts on my analysis.

Comment

What I take it is that criminal charges should not impact my motion asking for additional access and that the status quo is which existed prior to the arrest, not the one created to gain a tactical advantage.
            You are facing criminal charges which have not been dismissed, and you are fighting about RoFR?

You are facing a situation which is potentially completely lethal to your custody aspirations. Right of First Refusal is so far down the list of things you should be worried about right now.

Also, parents who fight for that usually come across as controlling jerks. Abusive husbands are usually controlling jerks. You want right of first refusal and you are facing charges for being abusive.

You can quote Shaw all you want, a judge is going to play it safe and see how your criminal charges shake out before giving you anything. Note the genders involved in Shaw. It should not matter, but it matters.

I'm also not sure how Kimpton helps you. You are facing charges that are not dismissed, how can you possibly argue that the new status quo is fake? For all the judge knows, this is a status quo created by the fact that you are an abusive controlling jerk. You gotta beat those criminal charges first, otherwise you are dead in the water.

Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts on my analysis.
              I have no analysis as I do not have the facts of your case. You can bring the matter to family court if you have solid evidence. Everything in these matters turns on evidence and not case law. You need to focus on your matters at hand not past cases. Those are references on how to argue and present your evidence. Nothing magical is going to happen. If you need to have evidence to support any argument you put before the court.

Comment

Wow...you literally took all the motivation from under me.
                I am trying very hard to advocate for my kids who do not like going to their mom's house. A 2-year old is telling me "Mommy no" every time our time together is over. I've spent $30k in only 4 months trying to get access to my kids.
                Should I sit back for the next year and not do anything until my criminal charges are done?

Now, I would have loved it, if instead, you could have provided CanLii posts where someone in my shoes was denied additional access due to the criminal charges and due to the new "status quo" being artificially built to gain a tactical advantage. I posted CanLii posts where it argued that Status quo is prior to the separation not one built on short term status quo.
                Do you have anything that talks about Status Quo with criminal charges? Or additional access being denied until criminal charges are done?

Comment

You should speak to a family lawyer in your area. They can look at your case and give you a much better idea of where things stand for you and are likely to go. They can look at any evidence you have that pertains to your personal case plus they know the judges and can give you an idea on how those judges will rule in your case.

Comment

Wow...you literally took all the motivation from under me.
                    Think of it as saving you money. Fighting pointless battles is expensive.

I am trying very hard to advocate for my kids who do not like going to their mom's house. A 2-year old is telling me "Mommy no" every time our time together is over.
                    If it makes you feel better, 2 year olds are notoriously unreliable story tellers. Many kids are not even talking at 2 years old, let alone putting together coherent tales.

Using the words of your 2-year old to justify a court case will not get you far.

Should I sit back for the next year and not do anything until my criminal charges are done?
                    No, but I do think you should drop the right of first refusal fight.

Why not make a deal that lays out a 2 year schedule that ends with you getting 50%? Include a clause that says that if you get convicted, the schedule reverts to one where you get every other weekend access only.

This is assuming you have no chance of getting convicted.

Now, I would have loved it, if instead, you could have provided CanLii posts where someone in my shoes was denied additional access due to the criminal charges
                    Honestly, that would be a boring case so I would never bookmark it. A father with criminal charges will almost certainly not be getting much access. I would be more likely to bookmark one where the father somehow pulled off a miracle and got access.

and due to the new "status quo" being artificially built to gain a tactical advantage.
                    How is it artificial? You were actually charged. It does not get any less artificial than that.

On this forum, we always recommend that fathers record every interaction with their ex. This is due to the fact that if you happen to get charged, you're kinda screwed.

Comment

I'd recommend you learn how to use the "search" on this forum.
                      there have been many people in your situation post on here through the years.

try putting in some words like "criminal charges child custody" or anything with "criminal charges"

There was one person on here a few years ago LF32 ? He came home from work one day and wife had fled with kid leaving a trashed house (she later told police he assaulted her). Of course she made everything up and later recanted it at the case conferences. He had a really lousy lawyer as I recall. He worked with special needs children. His wife told child welfare people he was a perv. It was a nightmare for him. His posts are full of advice from many people, as well as case law. I believe today he is living a good life with 50/50. His wife was very wicked.

Comment

Motion for Right of First Refusal

Then again, if you were a controlling and abusive, and there is any evidence at all of this...good luck with that. You can fight it, but it’s going to cost you. You should be trying to work with your ex to establish unsupervised first (if you don’t have it), then a graduated and increasing schedule. Clear your criminal charges up at the same time. Is your ex a credible witness for the crown?

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
                          Then again, if you were a controlling and abusive, and there is any evidence at all of this...good luck with that.
                          Yup, as I said:

Originally posted by moi
                          You are facing a situation which is potentially completely lethal to your custody aspirations.
                          I don't think he fully gets that point yet. If he was actually abusive, he's not getting custody.

Comment

Found something on Canlii:

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/do...resultIndex=18

Right of First Refusal

[28] The mother seeks to be granted ‘right of first refusal’ with regards to caring for the child J.J.D.. This issue is directly related to the issue of daycare, as discussed above. The mother asserts that the consent terms of the Temporary Order of Madsen J. were entered into on the strength of the father’s representation that he would be available to personally care for the child rather than placing him in child care. The father disagrees. There is no written evidence in the materials filed supporting such representations. Furthermore, it is this court’s view that the mother’s position reflects a strategy of leveraging; gaining advantage from the criminal court conditions imposed on the father. In effect, she is contributing to a situation wherein the child requires third-party care to avoid contact between the parties, and then claims that the child should be in her care rather than the care of third-parties. This position is untenable.
                            [29] This is a high-conflict custody and access situation. There is past involvement of the police and the Children’s Aid Society, and there are pending criminal charges before the court. The allegations of conflict extend beyond the parties to their extended families. ‘Right of first refusal’ obligations in family law proceedings reflect an appreciation for the principle of maximum contact; in general, it is preferable for a child to be in the care of his parents rather than a third party. However, in this court’s view, the effective navigation of a first refusal clause requires a willingness and ability on the part of parents to communicate and co-parent effectively. At present, in this case, the parties have no ability to communicate and in fact are prohibited from doing so by court order. I note that the Respondent mother’s Affidavit materials expressly acknowledge that this is a high conflict matter and that the parties “cannot come to an agreement on anything”. I further note that on the occasion that the Applicant father’s wife, Ms. A.G., texted the mother requesting that the mother “please ask J.J.D. to call us,” the mother’s written reply was “you do realize this is breaking B.D.D.’s no contact order, correct?”. This inability to navigate a simple telephone call does not inspire confidence in the parties’ ability to successfully navigate unforeseen changes to a time-sharing arrangement on the basis of the parties’ schedules.
                            [30] There is no evidence that either party is an absentee parent during his or her parenting time. A right of first refusal clause would serve to create further reliance upon third-party communications, additional transitions for J.J.D. between homes, and greater opportunity for conflict between the parties in an already high-conflict situation. I find that it would be contrary to the best interests of J.J.D. to order a right of first refusal to the Respondent mother in this situation as it would serve to add yet another complicating layer to an already difficult parenting arrangement. The mother’s motion for this temporary relief is dismissed.

Also:

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/do...&resultIndex=2

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/do...resultIndex=13

Comment

You have to walk before you run. While you can file whatever motion you want, the success of that motion is not always guaranteed and if unsuccessful you will pay her costs.

Instead of trying to bolster your argument to file motions for what you want, deal with your matters at hand. All of these posts about filing motions to get what you want scream control freak and bully.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X