This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to go to trial - couple of questions about process

If this has been addressed in another post, please feel free to direct me and ignore the questions. I haven't been able to find an overview.

I've read the government and other sites about preparing for trial (mine is just about adjusting SS amount, I'm the applicant and there are no kids). The resources are frustratingly vague, so hopefully you can help. .

Trial record is filed: application and response, updated financials, orders, statement of facts. Trial is in 30 days. Now to evidence and other requirements:

There is a ton of evidence, copied and ready. How is it best assembled and presented in court?

'Book of authorities'?: as above, how to present? Does this require written arguments for context?

Should the above be served, or is it presented at court?

Any other requirements?

I'm not sure exactly your question about what other requirements are needed in your case. The Family Law Rules (Ontario Reg. 114/99) covers the procedures and forms to be used in Family Law matters. Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi, I'm familiar with FLR. But by way of example it doesn't mention anything about 'book of evidence' or 'book of authorities', nor how/when these things should be done. I suspect this is not rule based but custom based. I am looking for guidance on expectations and customs.

Additionally, the subject of presenting arguments is not addressed in FLR. Case conferences have specific forms for each stage, but not the trial.

I've been nailed on a conference for not knowing something which is not actually written in FLR, but is a matter of custom and proceedings at trial.

Thanks again, FG

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X