• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorced Father Suicide Statistics

Canadian Institute for Health Information
    28 November 2001

Suicide Leading Cause of Injury-Related Deaths

Among Middle-Aged Men in Ontario, Reports CIHI.

(Ottawa) Suicides account for one-third of all injury-related deaths iin Ontario, reports the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI). According to the Institute latest report, there were 1,012 deaths due to suicides and self-inflicted injuries (including poisonings) in 1998-99. The majority (79%) of these suicide-related deaths was among men and the mean age of death was 44. "The statistics show that, on average, three people die of suicide and self-inflicted injuries every day in Ontario. Although suicides are usually associated with teens and young males, they are also a major
    health concern among middle-aged men," explains Greg Webster, CIHI Manager of Clinical Registries. "Our report shows that suicides were the leading cause of injury-related deaths among men aged 35 to 64, accounting for 39% of all injury deaths in this group. By comparison, suicides accounted for 25% of all injury deaths among teenagers aged 10 to 19."

According to a suicide report below just released in Ontario, 79% (4 out of every 5) suicide deaths in Ontario are men with a mean age of 44. Statistically, a man commits suicide in Ontario every 10 hours:

17 - men per week
    66 - men per month
    800 - men per year.

The report indicates the top 2 reasons for male suicide:

- loss of job; and
    - loss of family and children through separation and divorce.

<http://secure.cihi.ca/cihiweb/dispPage.jsp?cw_page=media_28nov2001_e#comparisons >

These statistics are very sad. It time for the government to wake up and smell the coffee and openly admit that there is a significant problem with the family law system in this country.

lv

Comment

Suicide Stats.

I agree LV.

It's time they make court decisions on a even playing field.

I just continue to hear stories about men/fathers taking the FALL.
      Big time.

The financial rape of men needs to stop. Why does it seem to be a common
      default when you hear the term "spousal support" or "abuse" that the onus automatically falls on the husbands.!!

There are men, husbands, father's out there that love their children
      and which to continue supporting them the best they can.

Really, at times, it sickens me.

Comment

In going through my research for spousal support trying to figure out the worst case scenario that I'll be up against, I found an alarming amount of articles, and news paper stories relating to men in Canada killing themselves once a support order was was put in place, or they file for bankruptcy. How many men have to die before the courts and law makers take notice of a failed system! I shudder to think of the amount of men out there living in poverty trying to pay unrealistic amounts of money where the slightest interruption in income could send them over the edge.

I'm appalled that my Canada of all countries has let this happen.

Comment

Originally posted by privateone
          ...a failed system!
          A failed system is exactly what it is... for BOTH sides. My ex is presently over $10,000.00 in arrears, despite going on several tropical vacations, fancy restaurant dinners and a healthy gambling habit (I know this for a fact, he had to show his bank statements in his disclosure.) And he is crying "I'm poor!" in court.

My friend's husband died and she gets a $281 'Orphan's Allowance' every month, on time, for each child, until her 3 children finish their university/college education.

Personally, and I know it sounds harsh... but it's a sorry state of this country when my friend who is a widow gets her support money full amount on time every month... and my kids who HAVE a living father who sees them *maybe* once a month sends what he wants when he feels like it. My ex provides NO physical help to me whatsoever in raising my children... personally, my kids and I would at least fare better financially if he were dead.

I know my feelings are harsh and severe, but they are my feelings from my experiences.

The system certainly has failed so many of us...

Comment

I have huge sympathy to you phoenix, but I must say its exactly that thinking that puts men in a place where they think everyone would be better off if they were dead.....and that thinking is tragic. If he's not paying and he his able to, he's a low life p***k who should be dealt with by means of forcing the payment.
            Your comparison to your friend being so lucky that her husband died frankly turns my stomach.

I know you're upset, but hijacking a thread about men killing themselves to complain about your personal situation and wishing him dead is just not fair to any of us that are desperately trying to find ways of making everyone happy and still have an existence.

I'm sorry but your post should have gone in a different thread.

I do wish you luck though....none of us are in good shape...or we wouldn't be here.
            Last edited by logicalvelocity; 07-10-2007, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Please don't put words in my reply that AREN'T there...

Please notice that I said "My ex provides NO physical help to me whatsoever in raising my children" -- none, nada, zero, zippideedoodah. Therefore, to me and the HUGE amount of work I do raising HIS kids 24/7, he may as well be dead.

For my kids, who he sees MAYBE once a month (and that's on a good month) and for 2 hours maximum, well I think they have more of a relationship happening with our mailman... again, he may as well be dead.

These are all choices HE HAS MADE. Not me. He has chosen not to be involved in their lives.

I didn't say I wish he were dead... I say he may as well be dead considering he CHOOSES not to be involved in his kids' lives, he CHOOSES to spend his money on things other than his kids and then cries "poor" and that our flawed system gives money to other single moms... which I find ironic. Essentially MY tax money is paying her orphans' allowance.

I did not say my friend is "lucky"... I simply said that this flawed system ensures that she, as a single mom gets consisten child support from our government. I, as a single mom, do not have that help -- and I sure could use it.

And I disagree about where my post belongs... just because I offer a different viewpoint doesn't mean my opinions don't belong.

Comment

There are many horror stories as a result from the Family Law System from both sides but no matter what the real victims are the children. For some reason they seem to be have forgotten in the ordeal.

lv

Comment

I'll have to disagree phoenix, again I'm sorry for your situation, but my point is the thread is about something other than what you posted about. We all need sensitivity to everyone's situation, and I don't think referring to people being better off if someone is dead in a thread about men committing suicide is appropriate. The inference is the issue.

Again, I am sorry for the situation you and your children are in...its terribly sad and horribly selfish of him.

Comment

...then we agree to disagree... the whole idea of message boards is to discuss topics that often touch on many different aspects of that topic.

Comment

Agreed phoenix

In keeping with the free for all thread educate

So the question I have for you is (and I'm not being sarcastic) How is it that your ex can get away with not paying all that he should? What loop holes has he found to pull this off? I had a friend who was out of work, in dire straights, and they still pulled his driver's licence and pulled him in front of a judge...who thankfully saw the mistake that had been made and waved everything especially when his ex had relocated the children to another province without permission.

If they could garnish his wages, and then pull his licence how is it your ex manages to slip under the radar? I think it would be useful for all to know how to catch these low lifes (of both genders) and have them caught. There must be many here who could enlighten everyone with how their ex's snuck by, hid money, or generally beat the system.

Comment

We are still litigating... I hesitate to give too many details right now.

I must admit, he mostly got away with it because of my own stupidity. I believed him when he 'told' me what his annual income was. Turned out it was MUCH more than what he said. Then he lost that job and now that he does have a lower income he is crying "poor" that he can't pay the arrears on the money he blew on himself.

You'd be amazed at how this legal system of ours can be dragged out. I've been at this over a year and it is still going on.

Comment

phoenix,

Ask yourself this question - Has the individuals lifestyle changed at all since the change of employment? If they have maintained the same assets or acquired new assets, suggests all in itself that their lifestyle has not changed. See the case:

Chute v. Chute, 2006 CanLII 1915 (ON S.C.), http://www.canlii.org/on/cas/onsc/20...onsc10177.html

lv

Comment

Phoenex, We all empathize, and understand the trouble you are going through, and do not feel your perspective does not warrant voicing and sharing for discussion and/or advice etc.

I think what was trying to be said was that your issue should have been a thread in and of itself and not posted in this thread, as it had no correlation to the initial post.

Privateone, it's not so much that the ex nows some magical loop hole, but rather is either better represented or better educated in dogging the authorities.
                            My ex managed to get $35,000 in arrears without getting his licence suspended or suffer any recourse. Believe me I tried. I gave FRO every detail right down to the V.I.N. on the car the only thing I didn't provide FRO was his shoe size. But for whatever reason the system failed me, I can't change history only today and hopefully tomorrow for the better.
                            I wish you well Phoenex in your efforts to do right by your children.
                            As hard as it is, don’t let bitterness and hate drive you, the children need a very strong parent, and I am sure you have been great, but hard feelings eventually wear even the best of people, don’t let it do that to you.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X