Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 06:51 PM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

It was humour, lady. Get a grip.

Anyone else have any advice, suggestions or opinions for the OP now that Ms. Arabian is finished with her personal agenda here?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:55 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkandimgone View Post
It was humour, lady. Get a grip.

Anyone else have any advice, suggestions or opinions for the OP now that Ms. Arabian is finished with her personal agenda here?
1. Don't put your life on the public internet unless you are willing to recieve feedback.

2. Don't blame other people for feedback you don't like.

3. Don't expect everyone on the internet to be on your side.

4. Difference of opinions is required to make sound decisions and you should take anything you read on a public form with a grain of salt.

5. Parenting is hard even with good kids. Kids who are displaying dysfunctional behaviour and potentially sociopath criteria may need clinical attention and not advice from a public divorce forum.

Good Luck!
Tayken
Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 PM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
1. Don't put your life on the public internet unless you are willing to recieve feedback.

2. Don't blame other people for feedback you don't like.

3. Don't expect everyone on the internet to be on your side.

4. Difference of opinions is required to make sound decisions and you should take anything you read on a public form with a grain of salt.

5. Parenting is hard even with good kids. Kids who are displaying dysfunctional behaviour and potentially sociopath criteria may need clinical attention and not advice from a public divorce forum.

Good Luck!
Tayken

All great points, Tayken!
Old 07-26-2012, 07:02 PM

Interesting observation in general, not sure how it fits into this thread but ok...

Unless of course you're suggesting the OP was doing so? As the question was does anyone have any advice, suggestions or opinions for the OP?

In regards to her situation, of course.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:41 PM

FaithandMorals is an unknown quantity at this point

I can honestly say that she just needs to try something new. Whatever she has tried with the first two kids does not seem to have worked. Likewise, what she has tried to date with this child does not seem to have worked. Only solution is to try something else. Trying to get dad to agree a strategy does not seem to work so time to go it alone. What is wrong with trying a behaviour contract then? Worth a try IMO.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:03 AM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

I think anyone going through a divorce has increased their chances of having more issues with their kids during the teenage years.

I don't have much advice to offer since, although I have a 20-something year old, I didn't have any issues through her teenage years. I do, however, have a lot of sympathy for the OP...I've had friends with these types of kid issues and its consumed their whole life and made them absolutely miserable.

I know there's a lot of different approaches and different programs out there...like Total Transformation...that are supposed to help. But its infinitely harder when you have the other parent sabotaging your efforts.

Maybe you can try this... Cryonics Institute and wake him up in 20 years or so?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Jeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud of

I think a full range of opinions has been canvassed in this thread and further discussion will not be helpful, so I'm closing the thread.

Please remember the rules:
-no personal attacks
-be respectful to others.

Lively debate is of course encouraged, but the debate should be about a person's ideas, not an attack on a person.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Jeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud of

I just want to add that I've found this book:

Surviving Your Adolescents: How to Manage and Let Go of Your 13-18 Year Olds: Amazon.ca: Thomas W Phelan PhD: Books

to be an excellent guide for parenting adolescents.