This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• living with a friend

I have recently moved in with a friend (male) where the courts see this as common law. We drew up an agreement regarding terms in which I was able to stay here. I had to stay with a man becaue my husband is unpredictable and I finally get some sleep because I know there is a man in the house adeuate security, and there is not anyone her that would let him in to the house.
    1. My husban's lawyer sees this as common law. I have been living here since October 2008.
    2. my husband expects my friend to support me as he is a man. I was married to my husband for 27 years, and according to the law, he should pay support for the rest of my life.
    3. I supplied the major earnings to our house hold, and just before he left I became very ill having to give up my career. He has a career thanks to me putting him through school.
    4. Towards the end of the marrriage, he was the major wage earner and I was depenant upon him.
    5. After I was asked to leve my home, and placed into an apartment. (I was very ill medicated and did not know what was taking place)
    6. He also committed adulter with my best friend while I slept in our home. Since she is a nurse she dispensed my medications, and on one occasion my children were unablr to wake me. She claims that I self medicated. I follow the instructions by my physician.
    7. His lawyer wants to cross examine me and "tear my affadait apart even though I presented all of the truthful facts. My physicians have written to my lawyer and insisted that I am to ill to be put into a situation like this.
    8. His lawyer is discrediting my physicians.
    9. What can I do?

I think it is all threats and you have nothing to worry about. They are just trying to scare you. Your doctor has your back, and a lawyer would have a hard time discrediting a doctor. He also has to prove that you are in a physical relationship with this man. As long as you have seperate bedrooms, pay rent, utilities and can prove it, I wouldn't worry. I'm sure the courts will see it as his lame attempt to get out of his financial obligations.

Comment

I may be completely wrong but I think that his Lawyer has no right to ask you anything except in court and certainly no right to make any demands of you. He's just trying to intimidate you. Ignore him and get a Lawyer to protect your interests.

Comment

considering you have only been living there since October of last year I am thinking that it does not fall under common law??

I also take it that the place is more then one bedroom??

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X