This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Declaring bankruptcy on legal fees

HI: has anyone declared bankruptcy while in debt to their lawyer? Was your legal debt discharged?

Originally posted by FrustratedPartner View Post
    HI: has anyone declared bankruptcy while in debt to their lawyer? Was your legal debt discharged?
    I looked into this when I thought my case was going to trial. I was confident that I would receive a costs award and wondered if my ex could get out of it by declaring bankruptcy. The answer was 'yes'. You can declare bankruptcy on your legal bills.

Comment

I've had it happen to me

You normally do end up paying something to your creditors, but it is only pennies on the dollar.
      Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
        I've had it happen to me
        When you say you have had it happen to you, what do you mean? You are a lawyer whose client declared bankruptcy? Or the ex declared bankruptcy after you won costs?

Does anyone know if child support arrears are disharged in a bankruptcy? I hear that they aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPartner View Post
          When you say you have had it happen to you, what do you mean? You are a lawyer whose client declared bankruptcy? Or the ex declared bankruptcy after you won costs?

Does anyone know if child support arrears are disharged in a bankruptcy? I hear that they aren't.
          Absolutely not! Child support CANNOT be discharged.

Comment

I looked into this when I thought my case was going to trial. I was confident that I would receive a costs award and wondered if my ex could get out of it by declaring bankruptcy. The answer was 'yes'. You can declare bankruptcy on your legal bills.
            In quebec "provision of fees" which is similar to cost awards is considered "alimentary" which means you can't escape it by bankruptcy, similar except that only the richer person will ever pay it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X