This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handing over dog...

It is funny that this has now come to light after that thread regarding custody of a dog, however last night the bf's stbx called him and asked if he had time for another dog as she wanted to get rid of the dachshund... this dog my bf bought 7 years ago with money he had won at a tournament... when the ex told him not to come home, he requested he be allowed to take the dog with him, as the two were inseparable for years... she told him no and made him feel like a horrible father for wanting to take the dog away from the kids... he agreed to let her take the dog.

This hurt him to do, as he loved that little dog,but his love for this kids was greater... well at first the dog would come to our place when we had the kids, unfortunately, that had to stop as the dog was not neutered and was marking all over our house. I told bf that unless they got the dog fixed he could not come anymore, we offered to pay to have the dog neutered, however she refused... now two years later she is saying she can't afford the dog... reality is, she goes out often and doesn't want the added responsibility, but that is her prerogative.

Anyways, the question is, would it be unreasonable for him to request she sign a document saying she signed over the dog to him? My biggest fear is that we will invest time and money into this dog, only for her to decide in a month she wants him back. He will be coming to us on Sunday, I have an appointment set up for Tuesday at the vet as the dog has not received his shots in 2 years, we will have him microchipped and book his neuter.

I am a huge animal lover and we currently have 3 dogs, so now we are up to 4, I make sure our animals have all they need, just like the kids, but as mentioned, I am not willing to invest $500+ in this dog for her to decide at the end of the summer she wants him back. So again, is it unreasonable to draw up a document and request that she sign?

Not unreasonable, in my opinion. Especially since pets are considered property under current (Ontario) laws.

When my ex and I separated and subsequently divorced, we listed our pets (then 2 dogs and 3 cats) under the "Division of Assets" (can't remember the exact title) section in our Separation Agreement. A description of each pet was provided and it was noted whom they would "belong" to post-separation.

A little too anal? Probably. I love my "pets" just like they are family members and treat them as such, but since they are considered property in the eyes of the law, I just wanted to make sure they were "properly" accounted for legally so that there would be no future disputes or ambiguity.

Comment

is it unreasonable to draw up a document and request that she sign?
      If it gives you peace of mind then there is no reason not to. It clarifies the intentions of all parties regarding the ownership of property.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X