No announcement yet.

counselling - short term or long term?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• counselling - short term or long term?

For a dragged out and ongoing custody/access proceeding, does it make sence to have ongoing sessions for the entire duration? If so, how often should you be meeting with your therapist?

Or should counselling be limited to a short period?

edit: this is regarding counselling for yourself.
    Last edited by trinton; 06-13-2017, 07:36 PM.

Originally posted by trinton View Post
    For a dragged out and ongoing custody/access proceeding, does it make sence to have ongoing sessions for the entire duration? If so, how often should you be meeting with your therapist?

Or should counselling be limited to a short period?

edit: this is regarding counselling for yourself.

It comes down to knowing your personal needs and I don't think you can put a blanket statement answer on this. If you feel you need counselling for the duration then you should go. If you need to continue even after litigation is over...then you should. I would think it makes perfect sense if it is helping you out mentally and you can afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you are going to counseling to be able to check a box in the court process and say "yes Ive gone to counseling" then this is a moot question because its not being done in the spirit it is intended.

If you are going to seek emotional support for the difficulty of the court action then the length of time and frequency of visits will depend on your personal needs.

No one can comment on your coping ability and what you require from a therapist because us anonymous people on an internet forum do not know you. A therapist can help you work through your hurt, stress and frustration with the process; your upset at the battle to see your child; your difficulty with lack of control. You could have a number of issues including sleep problems, anger outbursts, fear, sadness etc. Only your therapist will be able to tell when and how long they need to see you.

I strongly encourage you to go into the process with an open mind and a willingness to approach your feelings on the process. Dont use is as a tool against your ex or the court but rather as a tool for your emotional stability. You may find you enjoy it because its a neutral party who can help you see positive things in the future and provide coping skills for the current situation.

Comment

I agree with Rockscan, go for it if you need it not for the checkmark on a form. When I decided to see a therapist, it wasn't for just the stress of the courtroom drama; I decided to invest in my future. For good or bad, the courtroom stuff will end, and I want to be happy regardless of the outcome.

Comment

Start with once a week, after few sessions you will know if you need more/less sessions

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X