Advise on Settlement offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The house was a jointly owned asset.

In all likelihood, the balance of funds continues to be held in a lawyer's trust account pending resolution. There would be some incentive for both to settle and have the final funds released.

btw, as it was a joint asset, I'm with the side that thinks the equity should be divided equally at time of sale, less only your initial downpayment and the roof repair. And then her 1/2 of the expenses for the period of time the house was vacant should be re-directed to you.
    Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

It has almost 3 years now since this started. Her first lawyer dropped her and then she retained another who has sided with her. She is the type of person who has always had everything she wanted and I probably contributed to that during the relationship which luckily ended before marriage. I paid the majority of things while together and everything afterwords. Honestly if this whole thing was fair, I would get back the money I paid on her loans that she had before her and I dated and also receive a % of the car she drove away in considering I paid about 40% of the payments and a reimbursement for the furniture and rent I paid on her new apartment after she moved out . These are things I am not even asking for and there are many more. Her way of negotiating was to send a picture of her dead dad and I and saying that I promised him I would take care of her so I should give her what she wants and when I didn't she says, I guess that is why he always hated you. Another text was threatening to expose me for tax fraud and when I sent her the CRA hotline number, she called me cold and mean. I have nothing to hide, I am basing my offer on cold hard facts and she is trying to manipulate me into giving her what she wants yet again but not anymore. I just want her to have what a court would think fair. I don't think she should get anything considering i was the one who ended up in with 40k in debt and she ended up with a new car, loans paid down and visa paid off. I am just want it to be over so I never have to hear from her again. She has and is still playing the victim. She told all our neighbors i didn't work when I in fact worked from home and made twice what she made. Her first lawyer came at me guns blazing saying how she had paid for everything and that I owe her 45000 and 10k for spousal support. When I sent him my defense with the documents to back it up, he dropped her. She has nothing to lose only lawyer fees as she put very little in. My credit was damaged last year as a result of having to pay rent and a mortgage and utilities of 3500 per month and trying to live as well. I have since met someone and married so I think she feels angry that I was with her for so long and never married her and that is why she is doing this. BTW, I was never married to her, the relationship and court is in alberta and I currently live in Ontario. I think I am just going to offer 18k. I arrived at that by asking for credit for the down payment, the amount I lowered the mortgage principal, the roof repair and the equity payments I already paid to her. If she does not accept, then it will have to be decided by a judge at which time I will ask for those things other adjustments. I just hope that the almost 60k I paid in mortgage payments and taxes I have paid since separation offset any claims for occupational rent.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X