Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I file for CS on my own

Haven't been here in ages.

I was getting child support ordered thru court/fro of past years. Teens went to live with dad for one year after having got themselves in some troubles. Teens returned to live with mom. No child support has been paid to me in two years. I did not pay ex any money for the year he had teens. Lawyer had said he would have had to up spousal support then. Honestly, I do not understand all this. I probably would have paid more money to lawyers trying to get this all sorted out. My income prior was 10K, so likely I would have had to pay him next to nothing and it if is true he would have had to then pay me more spousal support, then perhaps this is why he never came forward looking for child support. I would have paid what I owed him and I told ex this, but he never came forward asking for money.

Current: I have had teens back for a couple years. Although I make more than 10K now (thank GOD), but way less than ex, probably like two OR three thirds less, I realize keeping up with expenses (food, bus passes, cell phones, etc. has me near broke). Can I go back and ask for cs? Someone told me I can only go back 1 year because I waited two years to do so? Has anyone gone about trying to get CS on their own (without lawyer)? How would I go about this?

I am in Ontario.

Thanks.

Have you applied to legal aid Ontario?

Comment

I don’t qualify.

Comment

You can apply for cs and should simply file a motion to change from your old agreement.

Comment

How do I file for CS on my own

Thank you for your response.

I would need to have ex's last two years of t4's/NOA's though, don't I?
          I would gather his income would have gone up some. Do I not need a child support table to look at? Do I need to pay a lawyer for an accurate one?

I take it I would not go through FRO? Courts first?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Comment

Do you have a previous agreement for cs? Does it have a monthly amount?

You could file that with FRO for enforcement but that would be unfair as it is out of date.

Your first move would be to write to your ex and let him know that now that the kids are back with you then cs should be paid in accordance with the federal guidelines. If he refuses then you will file for support with the court.

From there you file a motion to change and request his financial information.

If you file at FRO you will get the amount agreed to before but you still need an update.

Comment

The process depends on the province you are in.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X