This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22 years separated

I'm separated for 22 years and have let my x do all my accounting for the last 35 years. She had access by way of joint account to moneys for the purpose of doing the books and payments. She has lived at her own house for 22 years and there has never been a problem till now. She wants a devorce and took 7,500 dollars from my mothers and my account. The big issue is she wants to get half my bussiness and homes (I'm a builder) though they were accumulated after our separation 22 years ago. I thought that separation ment that I could acquire assets separate from hers. If anyone could shed light on this I could sure use the advice.

I would love to hear the response to this as well. Just out of curiosity, why did you all seperate for 22 years but never get divorced? Are these joint accounts she had access to or are they your accounts where she had access because she was doing your accounting?

It is an unfortunate situation, and probably a very unusual one for sure. I am guessing if you want to recover the money you will have to try to file criminal charges and/or pursue her in civil court. I don't know under the circumstances you would win in either case. Regardless I hope things work out!

Comment

Not worried about the $'s she took

My concern is that she is trying to get the houses that I acquired after the separation. Is that possible?

Comment

hope not

I really hope that your separation protects you. You've built a life and assets without her. What in the world did you want to stay with her for? I'd really like to know why because I know somebody separated for 5 years now.

Comment

Other than not seeing eye to eye on marrital relationship there was never any reason not to trust her financialy before and I did the work on her house and mecanical work in barter for accounting she did for me. This saved us both cash over the years. A divorce costs money and I was under the impression that it was not nessasary unless marriage was on the agenda.

Comment

Hi love to help and welcome to the forums!

Where are you located? In Ontario, property is divided as of the date of separation. I know that in some American states, property is divided as of the date of the divorce, but even there, I'm sure there would be exceptions for cases like yours.
            Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Originally posted by love to help
              Other than not seeing eye to eye on marrital relationship there was never any reason not to trust her financialy before and I did the work on her house and mecanical work in barter for accounting she did for me. This saved us both cash over the years. A divorce costs money and I was under the impression that it was not nessasary unless marriage was on the agenda.
              What do you mean you thought divorce was not necessary unless marriage was on the agenda?

You mean with someone else?

I guess I just don't understand why you would get seperated for such a long period of time with no real intention of getting divorced ever. Just strikes me as odd, doesn't mean anything is wrong with it. I just don't understand it!

Comment

I have a friend in a similar situation. Was married for 25 years had 4 kids, left his wife on good terms, but never wanted a divorce. He says its because he's Catholic and also doesn't ever want to marry again. Although he has been living with his girl friend the past 5 years.

To each there own.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X