No announcement yet.

Safety Tips for Young Children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bath mats, plastic plug protectors, baby lock on chemicals under the sink and gates to the stairs plus deadbolt door locks are the only child proofing I ever practiced.

The rest was always keeping an eye on the child. Discipline - my favourite saying from day one was " look with your eyes, not your hands" and show hands put at sides.

I never took any ornaments down, had a christmas tree and all the decorations up.

Just patients, dilegence and persisitence.

Oh and of course Prayers. Lots of those lol!

Comment

I agree with Pursuing, there's only so much you can do to keep them out of harms way --- as my mother would say: small kids small problems, wait till they hit their teens.
      I work in the automotive industry and I just read another pretty compelling study this week about how car seats -- when installed properly -- are no more safe than using a regular seat belt. And when installed incorrectly -- which is over 80% of the time -- they are more dangerous than seat belts. Mainly because they are heavy...so in a crash condition, they anchor the child to a very heavy, moving object.

Yet despite this study...and a lot of other data on the subject....it doesn't stop manufacturers from making billions selling this product to parents around the world. There's a whole regulatory industry formed from a product that probably hurts kids more than helps them.

Now I'm not suggesting that parents shouldn't protect their children and use reasonable safety measures. I'm simply suggesting that we shouldn't parent based on paranoia and fear. We shouldn't try to protect our kids from normal life experience and the mistakes/accidents they need to make and have in order to learn about life.

You cannot protect children from everything and sometimes protecting them too much leads them to not be able to function in normal situations.

There's some happy medium between making sure your toddlers don't drink poisonous substances to raising kids with some level of common sense based on accidental experience so that they don't end up living in your basement, scared of the world, until they're 35.

I'm not sure what that happy medium is. But somewhere between when my parents raised kids until now, we've crossed a line.

Maybe its because I'm getting into cranky middle age but lately I'm seeing more entitled, kinda-lazy young adults that have zero perspective on the harsh realities of life than I ever have. I often wonder if its because they've been "over-parented."

Comment

Interesting you should say that Janibel. I too have a friend who was a clean-freak (much more than I) and her kids always seemed to be on antibiotics for something. Now they are in their teens and my friend is still a worrier. I often joke with her that Alberta Health Services should go back to sending people yearly statements of all the times people use the health care services so they can see the costs involved if they didn't have health care coverage. AHC used to do this many years ago and it was a real eye-opener for consumers as well as the medical community. This process led to the opening of more family health clinics and stopped doctors from seeing patients at the hospitals for colds.
        I'm not a health professional but I read a study that said having too-clean of a house isn't necessarily good for kids immune system.

My experience with my own kids was that they went through a "sick phase" when first exposed to a lot of other kids.

For my youngest, it was at Montessori...her 1st exposure. She ended up with a pretty nasty viral infection, whooping cough a couple times, and hand & foot rashes. Then once she got to jr K, she rarely got sick.

For my oldest, it was jr K. She got there with the other kids and was sick on and off with everything some other kid had for a year. Once that time was up, she almost never got sick.

I think they just need to build up an immunity and then they're more stable.

I often wonder how home schooled kids do with that.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X