This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 year old left home alone

How would you handle things if your ex left a 7 year old at home alone? I am very upset about this situation but don't quite know what to do. I would love to hear from the forum.

for how long?? Not saying that it makes much of a difference but the longer it was, the worse it is.

Comment

Originally posted by ele110 View Post
      How would you handle things if your ex left a 7 year old at home alone? I am very upset about this situation but don't quite know what to do. I would love to hear from the forum.
      How long? To run next door and get milk? 2 mins? 5 mins? an hour? several hours?

Comment

No, he does not run to the corner store to get milk. My guess is an hour or so, gone with the car. Sticks the child with electronics to keep him quiet and off he goes. I feel it is dangerous and irresponsible parenting.

Comment

Who is this information coming from?

Comment

The information comes from the 7 year old and was confirmed by the 15 year sibling who went out with her father, or who came home and found the 7 year old by himself.

I am not surprised that this is going on as while still together, he had done that (leave the house with kids alone ) several times and that was a topic of conflict, however he did not seem to see anything 'wrong'.

I am now worried for the safety of the 7 year old child.

Comment

I would contact CFS and the police.They will assess the situation and give him a warning at least. Also him doing this is very dangerous and a concern, so make sure it's documented report. Tis isn't a responsible parent and he could use parenting classes at least.

Comment

Your 'guess'?

Than you don't know.

So shut it.

Comment

Originally posted by ele110 View Post
                  The information comes from the 7 year old and was confirmed by the 15 year sibling who went out with her father, or who came home and found the 7 year old by himself.

I am not surprised that this is going on as while still together, he had done that (leave the house with kids alone ) several times and that was a topic of conflict, however he did not seem to see anything 'wrong'.

I am now worried for the safety of the 7 year old child.
                  so the 15 year old went out with the father instead of asking what about the 7 year old?? Seems odd that they would not worry about their sibling.

Is the 15 year old telling the truth or just trying to to create conflict? Does the 15 year old want to spend time with their father or is this their way of trying to get out of spending time with dad? The 15 year old could possibly be telling the younger child to lie if this is the case.

Comment

if you're that concerned then call CPS, it may just be an education issue or it may be nothing... but if he's not going to listen to you then perhaps you need to escalate.

Comment

I think it all depends upon how often this is going on and for what period of time.

Please be mindful of the fact that children have a scewed sense of time. What could be 5-10 minutes, could be a lot longer for them. The reverse could also be true especially if they are playing on a video game, on an Ipad, computer or some other electronic.

You could send your ex a carefully worded email with links or quoted text from the CAS/CPS websites or other informative websites indicating at what age children can be left alone. Keep it factual and do not attempt to criticize him for not being a good parent. Hopefully by receiving this he will know that 1) what he is doing is placing his child at risk 2) that you are aware of what is going on.

You also have a written paper trail, just in case this escalates. You can point to this and say, I drew his attention to blah, blah...

In other words give him an opportunity to "fix this" before going in there heavy handed. After all being a good parent is not something that we are born with but is something we learn (often by making mistakes).

Having said all this, if this is still occuring after you have provided him with the relevant information, I would call in the CAS/CPS.
                      Last edited by Nadia; 03-09-2013, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Do you have anything in writing staying this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by wretchedotis View Post
                          Your 'guess'?

Than you don't know.

So shut it.
                          'Shut' what?

Comment

Thanks for everyone's replies! I will follow some poster's advice, put it in written, and let's hope it will be enough.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X