stopping CS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stopping CS

Thats why Im saying to request the documents from osap. Plus the tuition fees. He can still go ahead with the motion to stop as she would be forced to provide them but he doesnt need to waste an hour of his lawyers bill to get them.

He should simply respond that until he sees proof of the claims via formal documentation from the school he is moving forward to terminate cs.

As for the little expenses like parking and food on campus, those arent expenses as she gets her transportation paid for via the transit pass in her tuition.

Tell him to take a deep breath and think. She wants the money, she can prove the cost. At this point the kid would only have been provided her tuition fees and a notice from osap. She wont have anything until she is formally attending in september. One more month of cs wont kill him.

If it makes him feel better, my partners ex is asking for cs, extra food expenses, clothing, weekly trips home and additional money in case there are other expenses in addition to school costs for a kid away at school. There are plenty of dads getting shit on this way. Hes not the only one. He should be glad the kid is going to school so she wont be a drain on the system like her mother.

Comment

I know your partner has been through hell and back a few times with this stuff.

He wants his child to do better then the mother. There are some issues with cutting the apron strings that are generational.

He is going to write a letter to the mom asking for documentation along with a copy of her notice of assessment to figure out the proportional amount. I told him to send it registered so he has proof. Her letter she sent through their daughter...not good IMHO, why involve her in that?

Another question, she will be able to claim the tution credit on her tax return and I think he pays his share after that is taken off?

Comment

He always pays his portion of the net cost. When she gets the info to him he can have his lawyer calculate it via divorcemate.

Comment

thanks Rockscan. You have been a great help.

He just left here and is going to work on the letter to his ex. He asked me what to put in it and I showed him all you wrote. I added that he should put a time frame on it for her to respond. I also suggested to send it registered.

The system is so screwed up. CS should end at 18 and it should be up to the support receiver to prove that it is still needed. He had to take it to court after his ex left him to see the child and couldnt get 50/50 due to his work schedule (no he couldnt change his work schedule and it has been the same since the child was born) . The judge agreed with his ex. Now once again he will have to go to court to find out if the child is actually in school (he has a feeling ex will not answer his letter) and to see what the actual cost is.

I will keep an eye on him and watch his mental well being. I am 99% sure he wouldnt do anything stupid but its the 1% that worries me. I just hate seeing him so depressed.

Comment

Its a really horrible experience and now because my partner wont just write a blank cheque, his kids refuse to even respond to his texts. His ex is just so awful and his kid wouldnt even let him attend her graduation! He knows the ex is going to fight to have cs extended for the kid to take a masters but his lawyer said he wont let that happen. All he has ever asked for was transparency and to know what is going on with his kids!

I feel for your friend. Its good he has you to help!

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
              Its a really horrible experience and now because my partner wont just write a blank cheque, his kids refuse to even respond to his texts. His ex is just so awful and his kid wouldnt even let him attend her graduation! He knows the ex is going to fight to have cs extended for the kid to take a masters but his lawyer said he wont let that happen. All he has ever asked for was transparency and to know what is going on with his kids!

I feel for your friend. Its good he has you to help!
              exactly...he kept asking the daughter what her plans were etc. She never really answered him, just changed the subject or avoided the question. It was only after the lawyer sent her the letter that he finds out the child is (or maybe not, no proof yet) is going to college.

Comment

Well if she is then thats great. If she isnt then hes already started the process. A new order would allow for more disclosure. He can have it in the order strict guidelines about being provided documentation or cs is stopped.

Comment

He hopes she is in school as he does want better for her. We were looking over some of the course descriptions online ( just from the basic stuff he was told) and he said that the stuff wasn't something his child ever mentioned or showed an interest in. She is more a visual arts type of person. She had issues dealing with the stress of tests etc in high school and had high anxiety. I just hope she can handle it.

Comment

Visual arts wont get her a job. Hopefully its something with employment prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                      Visual arts wont get her a job. Hopefully its something with employment prospects.
                      all he was told was business. Not what aspect of business it was like accounting or whatever. He will find out more when he eventually gets proper disclosure.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X