Section 7 Expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Section 7 Expenses

Hi, I'm just curious if decision making authority in the custody agreement applies to the kids' section 7 expenses? i.e., our agreement is joint custody, the kids reside with me and their father has visitation, and I have decision-making power in the event of a disagreement.
    I'm trying to navigate "coparenting" with someone who's mentally ill so coming to an agreement on the kids' activities every year is a laughable idea. he seems to think he can put the kids into whatever activity he wants and get money from me for half (the agreement states we each pay 1/2) and refuses to pay his half of activities that I have signed the kids up for that were actually in the section 7 part of the separation agreement. He's even getting them unnecessary dental work without a health plan after I 've taken them to the dentist with my dental plan through work.
    All this to say I'm not sure what to do when he presents me with expenses that I haven't agreed to and can't afford to go to court every year. Do I let things pile up and go to court in a few years? Does leaving things to pile up set a bad precedent, like I don't "need" the money?
    Any insight or experience with this would be wonderful.

If he does not have your agreement then you arent obligated. You could send him the section of the federal child support guidelines where it clearly outlines section 7. If I recall correctly it says with written permission.

You might be best to keep sending him correspondence reminding him that he is required to get written permission from you to have the expense considered section 7. As far as the dental expenses are concerned, if the kids already have dental care, his desire to take them independent of that is his expense.

Might be best to simply respond that in accordance with your agreement and the guidelines, written permission must be obtained prior to incurring the expense otherwise he bears the full cost.

Comment

Thank you, I'll do that!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X