Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child support if adult child receives odsp

We are in a mess.

My partner's adult 21 year old child has started three different University level programs...couldnt finish any of them due to severe depression/anxiety issues.

She dropped to college level Sept 2019, got zero credits and has now gone into ONE course per week winter 2020...which he had to pay 65% for....

Case conference has ordered him to pay a significant monthly amount, BUT if she qualifies for ODSP, which she has applied for will his child support end?

If she completely quits school, which appears likely.... because it has determined she cannot withdraw from parental support...will he be paying forever.

I know this sounds cruel, as my own child also suffers significantly from mental issues, and is also 21, and resides with us full time....so I know how hard all of this is.

Just at a complete loss...he is on the line for her .

Any advice, or been there done that appreciated

She more than likely won’t qualify for ODSP but that is another issue.

There was a big case recently where a disabled child was awarded cs indefinitely BUT that child was in a wheelchair and the cs was to pay for additional respite supports that aren’t covered by ODSP.

Your partner may want to see a lawyer and also ask about what treatment the child is currently in.

Comment

He has seen a lawyer, and it is written in the interim agreement that if she gets odsp he doesnt pay.

But how long can she do the school thing? Start then quit, then start..etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by canthisberight View Post
        He has seen a lawyer, and it is written in the interim agreement that if she gets odsp he doesnt pay.

But how long can she do the school thing? Start then quit, then start..etc etc
        There has to be a reasonable expectation of success of the course. If the child has failed or dropped out a number of times before, than you may have reason to put the onus back on them to prove that they won't drop out again on the next course. If they have done this repeatedly, than you have a pattern to go off of that you could argue shows that the isn't a reasonable expectation of the child finishing the course. As such, you argue that c/s should cease as they are an adult and on odsp.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X