Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Study finds women are more controlling and aggressive towards their partners than men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay! another poster who reads the Daily Mail UK. I check my horoscope there regularly, and.... of course the Hollywood gossip news! (Angelina who?).
    Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

I have never heard of that paper, is it a newspaper or a tabloid?

Comment

Originally posted by youngdad91 View Post
        http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...tners-men.html

.. and in my opinion, they continue to be controlling of former partners because all women ever ask for after a divorce when there is children involved is sole custody - it's rarely ever a female runs into court requesting joint custody.

It would have nothing to do with the fact that women still do the majority of the child rearing right? It has to be a control thing? I mean did YOU take parental leave when your children were born or did you ex? Too bad more dads wouldn’t step up to the plate and be an equal parent from the get go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I dont think its a case of women are more controlling. In divorce, people want to punish each other. As the courts normally rule for full custody to the woman, they use their need to punish as exerting control. Ive known many men who are control freaks and get difficult if the woman tries to exert any control.

Goes back to my argument about reasonableness. Unreasonable people like control. Period.

Comment

Ridiculous argumentative thread.

Men v. women... women are evil... blah blah blah.

Comment

I have deleted everything else I wrote and just going to share this with you that I just found:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...nfide-fathers/

Yes some fathers are starting to take on child rearing roles early on but it is still not the norm. Despite you deleting what you did I still read what you wrote. Good for you for taking time off when your child was born but you know it’s not the norm. It’s women who take the time off to raise the children, be it a year or whatever, rarely is it the man. So just because you’re one of the few, or men are starting to step up, doesn’t change the fact that women still do the majority of the child rearing in the early days (and some even continue being the main caregiver throughout). I can personally say none of the men I know who have children have take time off, it’s been their wives (except my husband he said he took time off with his first child but that was before me so I can’t confirm that but I guess I just have to trust his word)

You can argue women are controlling but how many men are just as controlling? You see a small percentage of separating individuals on this forum. The men here want equal relationships with their children, you don’t see the men in here that don’t want equal relationships or don’t want to pay for their children, or want to control every little thing about their ex. Men and women are equally as controlling. This isn’t a gender issue this is a human behaviour issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think both genders can be controlling, it's just that it's usually expressed differently. Men control more through physicality, by being physically abusive or intimidating, and women control more through manipulation, being emotionally abusive, or by using the children.

As for men taking leave to be with the children, I think we're probably still in a situation where many employers frown on that, and men feel they can't, due to societal pressure, financial differences, etc. Women still are more likely to have the lesser paying job, so it's a bigger hit if the father takes time off compared to the mother, and men are still more likely to have a work environment that discourages taking time off for parenting.

Comment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...tners-men.html

.. and in my opinion, they continue to be controlling of former partners because all women ever ask for after a divorce when there is children involved is sole custody - it's rarely ever a female runs into court requesting joint custody.
                  The study you have posted appears to have been based on a student sample of (N = 1,104), a thesis likely. The author of the study has also apparently concluded that IPV doesn’t have a special etiology, but needs to be studied within the context of other forms of aggression. That conclusion wasn't expressed in your original link??

Perhaps we should look at itemized data of other forms of aggression in our country, for a broader and more realistic view of abuse, based on collected police reports of IPV data.

Stats Can link stats – link: https://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002...1805-3-eng.htm

Please pay particular attention to Chart 3.2 Victims of spousal homicide by age, group and sex; Chart 3.3 Victims of dating homicide by age, group and sex; and Chart 3.4, Spousal homicide by sex of the victim and accused-victim relationship.

All of which would seem to conclude that females are, in the majority of incidents, the victim.

Lastly = Chart 3.7? what the heck is happening in Saskatchewan and Manitoba? Frightening.
                  Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
                    Lastly = Chart 3.7? what the heck is happening in Saskatchewan and Manitoba? Frightening.

My guess is that, sadly, it is most likely due to the higher aboriginal population there. The text notes that the territories are even higher. Intergenerational trauma has really damaged them in so many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
                      Intergenerational trauma has really damaged them in so many ways.

If intergenerational trauma was a thing, I would be an absolute wreck. Compared to me, the aboriginals had ancestors who were treated like kings.

What we really have is a "low expectations" thing, where a group of people are expected to do nothing, and in fact are rewarded for doing absolutely nothing.

I bet if we treated aboriginals like regular citizens, they would recover from their "intergenerational trauma" within a generation, once the current crop of whiners died off.

Comment

Like I said before... this is a silly thread. Women vs. men or men vs. women. We are much better than that on this forum right folks?

Comment

You'd probably be best to spend your boundless energy and time researching issues directly related to your own situation.... how to pay the ex...

Quit trying to pick a fight.

Comment

You managed to get outta daycare fees, which most working parents cant, keep that in mind if you have to contribute to post secondary.

When in high conflict take a step back and think "What have I done to contribute to the situation"?.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X