This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slandering and it's implications on a custody hearing

When my baby is born I have a feeling my ex and I will be going to court for a custody battle. I don't want this for the baby's sake. I am more than happy to grant him the "traditional" visitation that most father's have here in the US. However, even though he floats between wanting and not wanting the baby, I know in the end he will try to get a lot of visitation. In his mind this will limit his child support payments.

In any case his mom is saying some things about me that are absolutely untrue. I think her point is to use this against me for custody? Is there some action I can take to keep her from spreading these lies? I especially do not want her to brainwash our child down the line.

Just an opinion

There is an old saying

Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.

It is not a nice situation when family members choose sides and start defaming the other half. This happens alot. If the rumours are not true, I wouldn't worry about it. Be strong for your child. Your child will need you.
    I would not resort to their level. Be the better person and be the better parent. They may be trying to provoke you into doing something irrational. Be careful of this trap. Smile at them. It is easier to smile than to frown. Check out their reaction. They will wonder what in the world you are so happy about. With a child on the way, this is celebration in itself. A child is a precious gift.
    For all the rumours and allegations that they start and are unable to proove same, I would think their credibility goes out the window. Live your life for your child and yourself. After awhile people stop listening to the rumours and also form an opinion of the trouble makers.

Comment

Yes I understand. And I wasn't going to stoop to their level. In fact, my husband's actions speak for themselves. I wouldn't need to make things up to spread around. I just don't want my child to hear any of this garbage.

Comment

Hopefully they will get tired of playing their game by the time your child is old enough to understand what they are saying about you. If not, your child will eventually be old enough to form their own opinions, and he/she will be able to separate the lies from the truth based on his/her own experiences. You're a long way away from this stage, but have faith that it will happen. This is an unpleasant situation but it happens frequently in the separation/divorce world.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X