Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 03:39 PM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough
Default Options for access scheduling

The kids' dad would like to move to a week on/week off schedule from our current every other weekend and wednesday nights schedule. The kids aren't super thrilled with the current arrangement as they never feel like they're 'settled' during the week and always being shuffled around, especially during the school year.

I'm going to ask the kids about the week on/week off but have a feeling they won't go for it for a number of reasons, including their social lives. (All of their friends are here in their own neighbourhood, dad lives in the middle of nowhere with no virtually neighbours so they are limited to seeing their friends when they're here with me.)

I know their time with him is important and want to encourage them to spend more time there but they'll have even less time if they decide not to go on wednesday nights anymore. Any ideas of different options to offer the kids rather than simply EOW or week on/week off?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:45 PM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

They're teenagers, ergo the importance of their social lives to them, and we live a 6 minute drive away from each other so closer isn't an option. The difference is we live in a neighbourhood surrounded by their friends, he lives in the middle of nowhere. There are no buses or public transportation out here so them getting themselves back and forth isn't an option.

ETA: Since seperation he`d visit them wednesday evenings, only the last 5-6 months he`s been taking them every other weekend and taking them home on wed. nights. It may be status quo after this long but they hate it so trying to find some other options to offer them so they still get at least the same amount of time with dad without them being miserable about the arrangement.

Last edited by blinkandimgone; 09-06-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:11 PM

anotherSTEPmother is on a distinguished road

What about Every Sunday until Wednesday morning, that way they get their social days with their friends. Just specify that on long weekends and holidays that they are with you instead... Almost equal time, you get one more day but that will get eaten up by their friends most likely.

It is really great you are considering more access, because they are teenagers I would ask them what they want too!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:52 PM

Thanks ASM, I'll add it to the list of ideas!
Closed Thread