OCL MOTION Vs. SEc. 30 due to $

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCL MOTION Vs. SEc. 30 due to $

Although I am posting a new thread, in the middle of my court case, this is my situation.

I was to attend court this week to discuss Motion of OCL Verses Section 30. Last judge appearance, the judge suggested OCL, due to the other parties financial issues.

I have agreed to the OCL at this time, and have made a note that should the OCL deny the case that we move forward with a section 30. To my surprise, the opposing party has stated that if their case is denied by OCL, that he will retract his wish for sole custody due to money.

My rebuttal is knowing that section 30 is EXTREMELY detailed, and there isn't anything that I wouldn't do for my son. The opposing counsel has not returned any correspondences and have infact literally dropped the ball as far as any communication.

Moving forward, can anyone tell me what I should be prepared for with the OCL, and how it has been helpful or not to your case.

Much appreciated,

OCL has a reputation for being very traditional and recommending full custody to the mother a vast majority of the time. They will listen patiently, say wonderful things about the father, but always rule on the mother's side.

That's just what I've heard through my experiences on this forum. I have no personal experience with OCL.

See the cases of WorkingDad and LovingFather32. They ended up rebutting the OCL reports and having them thrown out due to the bias of OCL.

Comment

I always advise not to generalize .. but I'll go against my own advice when it comes to OCL. What a ridiculous waste of time. Just a gross father bashing campaign that gave judges presiding my case severe headaches. Their report couldn't have hit the trash any faster. OCL head office covers their employees' inadequacies and sweeps any wrong doing under the mat.

I don't recommend OCL to anybody, especially fathers.

Comment

My experience went rather well with OCL. After hearing what usually happens to fathers I did become nervous to the outcome. Once disclosure time came around and OCL recommended everything I had wished for, that changed. I am still in the process of settling based on OCL recommendations.

OCl was very useful in my situation, may not be for others though.

Comment

Only time OCL should be involved is when there is a suspected mental health issue for either parent and/or if the children have special needs. All other uses of the OCL or section 30 is a waste of time.

Comment

This was recently mentioned to me by another lawyer as well, that I could get more favourable results from a section 30 but it is generally more difficult to dispute, unless the bias is very clear.

I too have heard about bias with OCL and have met with lawyers that are or were former OCL. They're not all bad people or biased against dad but they do generally have the mentality that children need to spend more time with mom and be closer to mom.

I think Section 30 is rather costly.

I have been advised by a lawyer that OCL may or may not take your case. If it is the end of the year and they are low on budget, they may not take your case, if it is the begging of the year and they just got all their grants, they may very well take the case.

Comment

Originally posted by trinton View Post
              I think Section 30 is rather costly.
              http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...azaratz-12452/

Section 30 are a waste of time and more importantly money. If you have 35,000 and 2 years of your time to waste go for it. Section 30 and OCL should have some hook that requires a clinician to recommend it as "medically necessary".

Comment

From a father's perspective going through the OCL, we had a favourable experience both times. I know it doesn't always turn out that way, but the OCL report recommended exactly what we asked for. It was very high conflict, with extreme alienation by the mother. The first report was instrumental on a with prejudice motion (judge ruled for a shared parenting regime) and the second report was even more intense, and the mother finally settled for the recommendations.

For preparation: be honest, write down detailed questions, and be incredibly kind towards the ex. As they say when you first get to court, if you can't decide between the two of you, they'll pick the parent that cooperates the most.

Comment

Yea, not all are bad. I had a doosey though.

I was all of the above, polite, relaxed, truthful, etc.

She kept asking if I ever heard my parents fight or if I fought with my brother during childhood. The leading q's she asked were insane. Then she had the nerve to say that she listened to recordings that weren't even in the continuing record. (Which were later heard by the judge and called "one-sided., edited snippets and entirely unreliable").

My OCL also called CAS on me because I gave my daughter a bath during my parenting time, saying "father's have no business giving their daughter's baths during their time".

That haulted access again for 4 weeks while CAS did an investigation and slammed both he OCL and my ex for such nonsense.

In her report she said bizarre things like "D5 says she dreams about big snakes" (yeah, guess what she's referring to...sick). I remember my lawyer made the judge laugh by saying she probably watched Kung Fu Panda or something.

During the disclosure meeting OCL stated that mom should have sole custody and that I should have all this therapy.

Her report was simply bonkers with lie after lie to favor my ex. It even said that I was aggressive during disclosure...when in actuality I sat there calmly and took her bull.

I would have loved to sue her. What a ridiculous experience.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X