How Long Did it Take for your Separation Agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long Did it Take for your Separation Agreement

Just curious how long it took you all to reach a Separation Agreement? I’ve been separated 3.5 years we are no where near close. He finally supplied us with what we hope is all of his Financial Disclosure. My lawyer is hoping to set up our first mediation this October.

All I had was the house. It only took us a couple of months but we basically each walked away with what was ours and split what we bought together. We always had our own bank accounts and separate loans for cars etc. All I wanted was to buy him out of the house...the rest I didn't care about.

Comment

All we needed was SS, CS and parenting times, and it took nearly 3 years from the first case conference was booked to trial.

Comment

Still at it 9 years later with not a single issue settled and of course no separation agreement in any way shape or form

Comment

My first agreement took about 6-7 months, but it only dealt with custody (not married, didn't live together or have mutual assets). But it only dealt with the first year or so. I've had to update/amend it twice as our daughter got bigger, but those were fairly painless as I did the agreement myself using precedents from my firm. Those only took a week or two (as I was the one inclined to get it done).

Comment

Originally posted by Asphenaz View Post
            All we needed was SS, CS and parenting times, and it took nearly 3 years from the first case conference was booked to trial.
            3 years?? I had heard of lots of time wasted with mediation and whatnot but was surprised about this. Good thing they call it "fast track"

Comment

Been at it since 2013, first was lots of stalling by ex and now lawyer stalling so he can drain us of every cent.

Comment

1.5 years, and we’re just at the exchanging offers phase. But we have a settlement conference coming up and I’m pushing to trial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stillbreathing View Post
                  Still at it 9 years later with not a single issue settled and of course no separation agreement in any way shape or form

How is this even possible!?
                  Lawyers should be fired? Or judges threaten lawyers and say ok. This is rediculous.
                  Being charged with murder and going thru and actual trial takes less time than this

When I see years I have to figure

it’s lawyers milking clients of money
                  Someone has more money than brains and enjoy fighting each other on principle
                  Or one spouse is so opposed they stall. Fire lawyers ect ext. if that was the case refer to judge putting a stop to it

Baffling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

1.5 years for the first time around. really bad agreement and ex started to play around with my access and turn the child against me, so we ended up back in court 9 months later.

second time around, 3.5 years to settle custody and access. time includes OCL and mediation. Would have been well over 4 years if trial needed but settled on consent. another 6 months on top of that to deal with the issue of child support.

90% of our agreement was reached in mediation.

Comment

motion for substantial SS motivated my ex to agree to binding arbitration - divorced 9 months later.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X