Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:09 PM

Kimmanny is on a distinguished road
Default Civil court case

Hi everyone,

I was here a long time ago asking about some family law issues. That part of my life is over now, but I am currently finding myself in a civil suit against my former employer for wronful dismissal and human rights violations. Does anyone know of a forum like this that I could ask questions or would anyone here have any experience with a civil case? I had a few general questions about my case and my questionable representation that I can't seem to find any answers to.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:28 PM

backinthesaddle is on a distinguished road

Can Lii has tons of cases. What exactly are you asking for or question? I have a bit of experience in civil law cases.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:06 AM

Kimmanny is on a distinguished road

Well my main question is concerning the paralegal I'm using. My former employer requested voluntary mediation and I agreed and paid for my half. He said he would update me when he had information. He called about 3 weeks later and said that mediation had taken place, that they didn't make an official offer to settle and that my former employer was noted in bad faith. He told me I am able to use the mediator's report as expert evidence because of this. So my question is, am I not supposed to be more involved in mediation? I wasn't given a date, time or place for it and wasn't contacted until it was over. Does this seem right? It seemed weird to me, so I asked if I could see a copy of the report and he refused me. Is this normal practice or should I make a complaint?

Also, he is working on a contingency fee basis and after this he sent me an invoice of almost 1000 dollars. We did not discuss any disbursement amounts moving forward, so it was a surprise to me. I was expecting a call or email letting me know about the costs. I requested a breakdown of the costs and how they were calculated and he became defensive and now has ignored my emails for 3 weeks now. I'm not sure what to do about it.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:30 PM

tilt is on a distinguished road

I worked in employment law and I have never heard of mediation not involving the client. That IS weird. Contact the Law Society of your Province regarding next steps