Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence Dealing with abuse and violence. Getting support and help.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:53 PM

divorcing mama is on a distinguished road
Default Book" why does he do that"- any comment on this book?

I have been reading it and it is truly inspiring. Lots of the patterns described in the book is right on!

The resource section in the book is also quite useful. I have called some of the numbers ( some are for both US and Canadian women) the people on the phone are quite helpful.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:36 AM

billiechic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by divorcing mama View Post
I have been reading it and it is truly inspiring. Lots of the patterns described in the book is right on!

The resource section in the book is also quite useful. I have called some of the numbers ( some are for both US and Canadian women) the people on the phone are quite helpful.
this is absolutely the best resource I have encountered for understanding exactly what happened. I highly recommend it to everyone.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:27 AM

Chip234 is on a distinguished road

This book applied to my ex in so many ways. It was painful yet eye-opening to read and it gave me the ability to spot certain behaviours during and post-divorce in "co'-parenting and to see red flags in potential partners. Personally though, i find it best to read, get the info and then let it go because obsessing about a person with a personality disorder is unhealthy and doesn't do any good.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:06 AM

dad2bandm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip234 View Post
This book applied to my ex in so many ways. It was painful yet eye-opening to read and it gave me the ability to spot certain behaviours during and post-divorce in "co'-parenting and to see red flags in potential partners. Personally though, i find it best to read, get the info and then let it go because obsessing about a person with a personality disorder is unhealthy and doesn't do any good.

"Why Does He Do That? Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men"?

I can think of many better suited books, if "co-parenting" is at the top of the list of things that can be improved.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:02 PM

fairlight has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Very good for deconstructing a lot of the rationalizations abusers offer for their abuse and to become more grounded in reality again. I disagree with some of his explanations for WHY abuse occurs, and also the feminist slant (e.g. he excuses women hitting men and basically says women can't abuse men). I also take with a grain of salt any advice from a person who doesn't have much success treating the disorder they claim to know a lot about. Give me someone who has a 50% success rate and I'll be much more impressed! But all in all, a lot of good in it, just don't accept everything he says uncritically.