Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce Support

Divorce Support This forum is for discussing the emotional aspects of divorce: stress, anger, betrayal of trust and more.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:04 PM

denbigh is on a distinguished road
Default How long to sign a separation agreement

How long from separation to signing agreement if didnít go to trial? If did go to trial, how long from separation until that process was done and had a permanent order? Just wondering what is average. Thus far itís been about a year and s half and hopefully we will finish this soon with s signed agreement
Old 08-16-2018, 09:42 PM

kate331 is on a distinguished road

I've been separated for 2 years, and in court for 1 year. I've got a Settlement Conference scheduled for September, but I cant see my ex wanting to settle. He is quite content with the status quo now, and its not to his advantage to settle.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:54 PM

mom22girls is on a distinguished road

It took a year and a half for us to have a separation agreement. We seem to end up amending it every 2-3 years, so donít think anything is permanent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2018, 08:45 AM

ifonlyihadknown is on a distinguished road

Mine took about 2 years.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:49 AM

Karma2016 is on a distinguished road

Iím 2.5 years since separated and no agreement in sight.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:07 PM

denbigh is on a distinguished road

Well itís done! Finally 1.5 years. For awhile I thought would end up at trial. 2 steps forward one step
Back. Every time ex disagreed with me would say then he wouldnít agree to anything that we previously agreed to. It is a lot different that the first version, that is for sure. The first one was full of fluffy things like how we would raise the children, which I was told and saw o. Here as well, you canít actualy endorce. Also has dispute resolution clauses which are gone now. I am hoping it wonít need to be amended as kids are young teens so I canít see what would change at this point. Didnít deal with post secondary in it thought, so I expect that will come up at some point. My lawyer said to leave it until
Actually at postsecondary

What types of things did you end up having to amend?
Old 09-08-2018, 09:25 AM

Stillbreathing will become famous soon enough

We are into our 8th year of hell separation with no agreement. Not one single issue has been resolved. The matrimonial home was sold 4 years ago and the proceeds have been sitting in trust for that long. The sale of the home didnít solve anything. It only caused the children ( whom I have full de facto custody of) and I to be homeless, living out of my vehicle ( something I donít wish to elaborate on at this time).

What the family court system has allowed my catastrophically brain damaged STBX and his lawyer to get away with is nothing short of criminal!

... and yes ... he has gotten away with stalling trial for this long!!!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2018, 10:42 AM

Karma2016 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillbreathing View Post
We are into our 8th year of hell separation with no agreement. Not one single issue has been resolved. The matrimonial home was sold 4 years ago and the proceeds have been sitting in trust for that long. The sale of the home didnít solve anything. It only caused the children ( whom I have full de facto custody of) and I to be homeless, living out of my vehicle ( something I donít wish to elaborate on at this time).

What the family court system has allowed my catastrophically brain damaged STBX and his lawyer to get away with is nothing short of criminal!

... and yes ... he has gotten away with stalling trial for this long!!!!!!!!
Wow. Going through similar situation. Proceeds from house held in trust. No where close to an agreement. We argued for 2.5 years what the date of separation is. My Wasband is a lawyer. Heís dragging this out to put me in debt (succeeding) hoping Iíll agree to just about anything. Heís trying to reduce my SS to drag it out further. We were married with three kids for 23 years. It need not be this way.