No announcement yet.

Post Secondary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your original post made reference to how YOU helped your oldest and you are helping her with any debt. Did you seek anything from your ex for this cost?

You can tell him you expect to stick to the agreement for kid 2 but if she chooses to go away and your ex encourages it, there will be a fight. Hence my "is it worth the thousands for legal costs" if he plans to fight it.

Go through canlii and look at post secondary costs. Its all over the map but in most cases (canlii is only a selection of cases) kid is responsible for 1:3 with parents footing the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Star7ontario View Post
      I would like to see the case law on this. Because a person wants to do something does not just automatically equal what is their "best interest".

If you spend some time on canlii you will find the case law you are looking for. You can fight it... dad can go to court and you will be ordered to pay. As stated above... is it worth the legal fees? You will spend more in legal fees than tuition.

What does your separation agreement say about post secondary? Does it say they have the study local?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, it is common in family law that if a child wants to attend university, the separated parents must help foot the bill, unlike with an intact family. It seems like your first child was successful enough to not put this difference to the test, but it is coming up for your second child.

However, the family law system also says that the child should fcover 1/3 of the bill. Can your child afford that level of contribution? If not, the whole issue can be moot, she's not going to university anywhere. If she really wants it, she can work for a year and save money. It sounds like she might benefit from that year to figure herself out, too.

That said, you could probably make an offer to the child that if she attends a local university, you would be willing to help her with her 1/3 of the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
          Yes, it is common in family law that if a child wants to attend university, the separated parents must help foot the bill, unlike with an intact family. It seems like your first child was successful enough to not put this difference to the test, but it is coming up for your second child.

However, the family law system also says that the child should fcover 1/3 of the bill. Can your child afford that level of contribution? If not, the whole issue can be moot, she's not going to university anywhere. If she really wants it, she can work for a year and save money. It sounds like she might benefit from that year to figure herself out, too.

That said, you could probably make an offer to the child that if she attends a local university, you would be willing to help her with her 1/3 of the cost.

That's what I've done. But she is set on going away. She's just started saving. I guess we'll just have to have a few clauses in the agreement. I wish we could add one about drug use.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
            Your original post made reference to how YOU helped your oldest and you are helping her with any debt. Did you seek anything from your ex for this cost?

You can tell him you expect to stick to the agreement for kid 2 but if she chooses to go away and your ex encourages it, there will be a fight. Hence my "is it worth the thousands for legal costs" if he plans to fight it.

Go through canlii and look at post secondary costs. Its all over the map but in most cases (canlii is only a selection of cases) kid is responsible for 1:3 with parents footing the rest.

No I didn't seek anything from my ex. We agreed to no further CS payments either way, we both earn the same. And I was content being done. I've helped with gas, fixing her car, books for school. I don't require any shared costs in order to help. I just do it when I can. When my eldest asks her dad, he insists I pay what he is paying or he gives her nothing. Totally different than what he does for our youngest.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X