Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:50 AM

buckler is on a distinguished road
Default Separated for 17 years - not divorced

I have a number of questions and hope someone can assist.
I got married in 1991, separated in 1993, never had any children nor property but never got a divorce. My ex was deported back to his country of origin in 2008 and I would like to file the divorce on my own now (as I am not in a position to pay a lawyer). I acquired assets after our separation, house, car and locked in pensions between 2001 - 2010. Would my ex be entitled to any of these assets acquired during those years? Also, would I be able to file a simple divorce and would he have to sign any documents, since I do not know where to locate him. Note also, CRA is aware that we separated as I have always reported as separated. Also on average, how long does it take for a simple divorce to be finalized.
Thanks in advance for your response.
Closed Thread