This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SadDad2010 View Post
    I was the snoring spouse. Any help for me?
    The nasal strips do work a bit...but easiest solution=go to bed after the other half is asleep...or enjoy the spare room lol

Comment

Or just get a better spouse, who is not snoring and doesn't make you anxious or depressed.

Comment

Originally posted by InterprovincialParents View Post
        With suicide in the news this fall, we had a frank discussion with our son about it...told him that my uncle had committed suicide, and the thing to always remember was that there are options, and people to talk to; even if those people are not mom and dad...

I guess he raised it at school, because principal was advised and it was raised with us the following day as an "inappropriate subject" in class...boy oh boy, did I ever disagree!!
        Do you mind me asking you how old your son was?
        I think it is imperative that the schools talk openly about depression...especially since depression invariably leads to a strong sense of hopelessness. If a depressed teen for example was not aware that there was understanding and help out there....that's when suicidal thoughts become an escape. A person choosing suicide has decided that was their only option to deal with their despair...there are always other options and it's important that our children are aware of them.

Comment

Originally posted by rszalai View Post
          Or just get a better spouse, who is not snoring and doesn't make you anxious or depressed.
          LOL...just have to reword that a bit for my preferred match on my online dating profile

Comment

My son was 11...but as we all know, suicide is a sin in catholicism, so a taboo subject in class...His teachers actually tried to get us to talk to him about it being inappropriate to discuss in school...I refused to, and told them that I was proud of him for discussing it, and that he would receive commendation from us rather than discipline...needless to say, teachers were not happy with me...to their credit though, they raised it with the principal thinking "maybe this is a kid considering" because he is usually very quiet and shy...THAT I approve of wholeheartedly, but giving him
            sh!t for it, I did not!

Our children know why we vote, why we follow the law, why some things are illegal and immoral...why would we stop discussing at depression and suicide? Our children also know that if there is something they feel they cannot discuss with us, they have other adults that care, that will advise, and will only tell us if it is a serious health or safety concern...that is my role as stepmom too...and I am the first one setting up an appointment with a counsellor if my son gets upset or angry yet refuses to talk about it...lol

Originally posted by SadDad2010 View Post
            Do you mind me asking you how old your son was?
            I think it is imperative that the schools talk openly about depression...especially since depression invariably leads to a strong sense of hopelessness. If a depressed teen for example was not aware that there was understanding and help out there....that's when suicidal thoughts become an escape. A person choosing suicide has decided that was their only option to deal with their despair...there are always other options and it's important that our children are aware of them.

Comment

InterprovincialParents, I commend you on your stand and for putting your child's welfare before societal/religious taboos.

Comment

IPP I totally agree about the need for talking about suicide in catholic schools.

I went to catholic schools all my life, and yes, there was one girl (whom I knew) who committed suicide. I'm not sure if I agree that it is a sin, but not talking about it is not going to help the kid who is thinking about it.

When it happened at our school we were encouraged to talk about it, how we felt, and there did end up being a debate about whether it was sinful. Regardless of what the church teaches about the sinfullness of it, above all "God" wants us to love and care for each other. How does keeping quiet and not helping someone because it is written in a book trump helping your friend? it doesn't, and I applaud you for telling the school that. At least my school had it right and put the kids first over the bible's teachings.

Comment

I believe it best for children to remain open and honest with them, within age-appropriate bounds...and parents are usually the best people to judge that. Kids nowadays are reaching puberty faster, likely due to the chemicals they are exposed to, and keeping those lines of communication open is the best way to protect your children from predators, from bullies, from confusion and conflict, and from all the other issues they have facing them in today's world. I think it also teaches them better relationship building, and that decreases the chance of another divorce down the road...in this, I remain optimistic for both of our children!

Comment

This is a great post billie. Good for you for getting the help you felt you needed and not playing into the 'shame factor'. Depression is much easier to treat before it gets really bad, sometimes we or others around us just don't really see it for what it is until it does get really bad.

As for sleep, Gravol is a great sleep aid for both kids and adults. My son has been using it for years for occassional sleep issues due to some other meds he takes.

Chronic snorers? Do your bedmate - and yourself - a favour and get a CPAP machine! You would be AMAZED at the difference it makes. Your spouse will get a good nights sleep and you wake rested without the elbow dents in your torso.

Comment

I have also restarted my medication. Almost a week ago and by the looks of things, just in time. It makes a HUGE difference in my ability to think straight. I take cipralex. No insomnia but I am VERY tired. Hoping that will pass. I fought taking them for a long time. I wish I hadn't. I feel better and stronger every day.

Comment

My oldest child used to snore until his adenoids & tonsils were removed... instant silence after.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                          This is a great post billie.
                          Thanks. Needs to be said.

My ex had a CPAP. worked great, if he wore it and it stayed on. Daughter also had sleep apnea and had her tonsils and adenoids removed last year. Amazing and she has finally caught up growth wise to the rest of her age group.

Do they do tonsilectomies for adults?

Comment

My spouse has no tonsils

Comment

my ex did not beat that, she committed suicide in December, she was highly influenceable and believe everything that her friends told her she was going to get. I am quite calm in any situation so I have not really feeled depress. When she decided to go with a lawyer I had to defend myself so she lost the house, all vehicles and had to retun all the furniture she took. There is help out there and do not necesseraly believe your friends as they are not lawyer and neither judges.

Comment

Sleeping Trouble

I was having trouble staying asleep. I would wake up with thoughts racing through my head. Try Melatonin. It works!! Start with 2 and if needed try 3. It really does work and does not give you that feeling of cotton balls in your head the next day

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X