Property evaluation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property evaluation

We are getting a property assessment and I want to keep the house.
    So I want it to look less expensive.
    I know they go buy square footage and others that sold in area.
    But is there anything I can do to lower the value?
    Thanks.

Michele

Originally posted by MapleKath View Post
    We are getting a property assessment and I want to keep the house.
    So I want it to look less expensive.
    I know they go buy square footage and others that sold in area.
    But is there anything I can do to lower the value?
    Thanks.

Michele
    so you are asking us for help in being dishonest. Good luck on that one.

Comment

Are you kidding? You both bought the house and you both contributed to its value. How would you feel if your STBX did that to you?

Comment

I love how you judge that I'm the asswipe here. You don't know what you ex has done Rockscan.
        He left me high and dry for another women and took our child. Poisoned her against me. He Stole $300 grand from house as a 'line of credit' and put 17 thou on his visa so I have to pay back. Sorry if I want the house to seem not as valuable so I can stay in it.

Comment

I mean little things like leave a messy yard so it's says it's worth less. I know ppl sometimes like it to look MORE expensive for their benefit.

Comment

I love how you judge that I'm the asswipe here. You don't know what you ex has done Rockscan.
            He left me high and dry for another women and took our child. Poisoned her against me.
            Ok I’m bored right now so I’m gonna bite on this one. How did he “take your child”

If you wanna lower the value on your home then just trash the place. Then he can have you charged for destruction of property lol

Comment

1. turn it into a drug house complete with obvious bullet holes in front entry and inside... add an extra "1" to your utility bill and leave it hanging around in plain view.

(downside would be that it will be very costly for you to renovate afterwards)

2. Chain smoke, cook curry and burn incense.

3. a week before appraiser comes in put shrimp in curtain rods - nasty but effective

4. if basement is unfinished, after your next rainstorm, toss some buckets of water against the wall. If you have time, get some business cards from local clean-up/recovery operation and leave them in conspicuous places.

5. Purchase a bunch of ant killer powder (rodent stuff would work as well) containers and leave them around outside and in basement.

6. If you have cracks anywhere in the foundation - emphasize by putting light beside.

and so on...

Comment

Thanks Arabian. Good ideas.

Comment

He left me high and dry for another women and took our child. Poisoned her against me. He Stole $300 grand from house as a 'line of credit' and put 17 thou on his visa so I have to pay back. Sorry if I want the house to seem not as valuable so I can stay in it.

Ya heard it all before from others. Still doesn’t justify fraud. Good luck on reducing the value in this market. Arabians ideas will only drive away buyers, it won’t change the value. He can also go for an order to have it sold and the proceeds split. Plus you split all the debts he incurred. Might be better to simply sell and start a new life. You strike me as the bitter vindictive type so that won’t work.

Remember too that you will have to pay the bills and child support since he stole your kid. Plus your high legal bills which you will incur with this attitude.

Comment

Rockscan is correct.

I was just having fun with this ... but converting to a drug house would most definitely decrease value (along with altering several months' utility bills). However, you run the risk of being incarcerated if your name is on the title.

Best to pull up the big girl pants and settle the matter and move on.

Comment

Coming from someone who has worked for years in real estate....

Do not confuse the valuation price with what a buyer is willing to offer you once your house is on the market.

The valuation will not be affected by minor cosmetic appearances. A messy yard, funky smells, scary business cards and mouse traps will not affect the value.

The only things that will decrease the value (especially in this market) involve criminal activity (think damage from a ton of pot plants) or you completely smashing out features in your home that add value (like a second bathroom, the in law suite downstairs, etc).....coincidentally this may also be seen as criminal activity as your ex-who is still on title- could have you charged with destruction of property.

Now that we got that out of the way..... why/how did he take your child away and what are you doing to get him/her back

Comment

You have gotten basically the same advice now from two different forums and two countries. Both as a man and as a woman BrotherTrevor.

It is dishonest and possibly illegal to actively work to decrease the value of the home, plus there will likely be more than one appraisal, especially if the house doesn’t appraise for in the ballpark of what it should be worth. Wouldn’t your ex have some idea of what the property is worth and possibly realize you are sabotaging?

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                          Rockscan is correct.

I was just having fun with this ... but converting to a drug house would most definitely decrease value (along with altering several months' utility bills). However, you run the risk of being incarcerated if your name is on the title.

Best to pull up the big girl pants and settle the matter and move on.
                          I wasn't the one who said I was gong to turn it into a drug house.

Comment

Sorry for your loss and pain. Don’t let what happened to you become justification for you behaving badly as well. As hard as it is you should raise the bar. Show the courts and mostly show yourself that you are nothing like your ex. Be decent, honest and a person of class in the face of great pain and adversity. In the long run you will be better off taking this path and so will your child. If you can’t afford the house at fair market value then move on and explore other options. When one door closes another opens. Sometimes you have to turn around to see it though.

Good luck

Comment

Personally, I thinking that seeking to lower the appraised value of a house if you are going to be keeping the asset is a very reasonable desire.

Unfortunately, as others pointed out, appraisers usually just look at comparables, assuming that it will be cleaned up for sale. If there is something wrong with the house (unrepaired major flooding damage) then definitely address it, but a simple mess won't help.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X