X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spousal support guidelines..need help

Hi all,
    I am being threaten once again for more spousal support by ex's lawyer. To start I have a question. Her lawyer has sent printed copies of "Divorce Mate" sheets showing a number of spousal support scenarios... Question,,, how often do judges rely on this software for their rulings and if so do they trend toward the middle of the road scenarios.?

In general most of us have been through this scenario once, maybe twice so no one can really answer this question. Case law available on Canlii doesn't detail the divorcemate calculations, only the judge's final summary. You're better off seeking an experienced divorce lawyer.

Comment

As a man a few experienced lawyers told me to stay away from a judge as best I can and settle out of court. One lawyer with 30 + years in family law said to me " I have never seen the courts more punitive against males in over 30 years as a lawyer". Scary stuff to hear from an experienced lawyer.

Comment

When calculating supports it can seem so vague. First they calculate the child support if needed and based on income of both party. Once determined pretty much cut and dry by the tabled amounts. Now they may include Section 7 expenses. ie day care medical and the like.

Spousal on the otherhand has alot more variables and differs so widely. How long you were together may determine length to pay. Self sufficency, income, kids and that will play apart as in if you are paying CS likely spousal will be adjusted down to include CS. So many and it will give ranges and that is subject to the judge on what they grant. Most will lean to the midrange number. Spousal is suposed to consider debt load as well and I believe not considered on gross pays rather nets. Best though to get that lawyer opinion as others are saying here.

Comment

Thanks ATALoss, you were helpful

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X