Self repped, do you name yourself as a witness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self repped, do you name yourself as a witness

Maybe a silly question but if you're self-represented do you name yourself as a witness on the witness list?

How do you address giving your own testimony?

At my trial

The judge asked me about 50 questions when I first went on the stand, to get the meat of the story and I suppose to assess me.
    Then I was cross-examined/
    I didn't name myself as witness, not did my ex.

Comment

I just was reading the Family Law Rules and saw this:

CALLING OPPOSING PARTY AS WITNESS

(11) A party may call the opposing party as a witness and may cross-examine the opposing party. O. Reg. 544/99, s. 9.

ATTENDANCE OF OPPOSING PARTY

(11.1) A party who wishes to call an opposing party as a witness may have the opposing party attend,

(a) by serving a summons under subrule (3) on the opposing party; or

(b) by serving on the opposing party’s lawyer, at least 10 days before the start of the trial, a notice of intention to call the opposing party as a witness. O. Reg. 544/99, s. 9.

Family Law Rules are at Courts of Justice Act - O. Reg. 114/99

Comment

I did state in my book of evidence that I would be taking the stand. The judge also asked us the first day of trial if we would be giving evidence in chief (I think thats what it is called) I spoke for a few hours, and during that time the judge would interrupt occasionally and ask questions to clarify, and then after I was done the judge asked me some additional questions.

Comment

Definitely, you have to list yourself as a witness on the witness list because your testimony under oath will be an evidence.

Comment

Thank you everyone.

Seems to be mixed opinions on whether or not I list myself as a witness on the TMC Brief, I guess it does not harm to do so even if it is not needed.

In a matter essentially just going to trial on my pursuit of additional access, decision making in regards to activities and such during my access and child support depending on access verdict, really is there any witnesses worth calling? My ex will take the stand and as such be cross-examined by myself, I could call one or both of my parents but of course they are going to be supportive of my case. Obviously I don't want to put her partner or parents on the stand as they will be hostile witnesses for me.

It just feels like not a lot is needed to proceed to trial on an access matter (primarily).

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X