Primary care and control vs full custody

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary care and control vs full custody

What would be the advantages and disadvantages to me having full custody of the kids rather than shared custody with primary care and control. What is the difference, is it easier to get certain things such as passports? Just wondering if I should go for full custody, The mother visits our children maybe 5 or 6 times a year, and its just for an overnighter. Just wondering if I should go for full custody now when I finalize the seperation agreement, and then eventually the divorce. I already have primary care and control. Thanks!

I makes little difference given what you have right now.

Should you want to travel outside the country you will still need a travel consent letter from the ex (unless your order specifies you may travel internationally without it).

Given what you say, you are already doing everything involved in the kids life with limited input from the ex. Why rock the boat by trying to get what you are already enjoying put to paper. All that is likely to do is get the ex's ire up and maybe open their eyes. And if that happens and they start to exercise their parenting time more, you'll like end up losing that court battle and all that extra time with the kids you are enjoying.

Sole custody only provides that you may make decisions on the child's health, education and religion without your ex's consent. The day to day stuff won't change. The need for the ex to sign a passport application won't change, well, unless you get a court order dispensing with their need to sign it. And in order to be able to get that court order, you need to show you've made reasonable attempts to get them sign and they are unreasonably withholding their signature.

Comment

Lol or in my case the ex just told the judge flat out that he would not sign the passport! Hahaha sooo the judge replied thats ok we dont need u too, i will make an order dispensing your signature!

Sorry to highjack, but i agree with hammerdad dont rock the boat for many reasons!

Comment

I think it will depend. My wife has full custody of her oldest child. The father has "reasonable access on reasonable notice at mothers discretion" She was able to get a passport, and travel to asia, Europe, Mexico and the US never required to get a signature on passport or travel letter, they just want to see that she has sole custody. My ex had sole custody of our daughter and there was an order that we would both sign it but she was able to get a passport and when I went into the passport office they said that if one party has sole then they accept that to get a passport.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X