Son brought up meth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son brought up meth.

My son was playing with my nieces and stated "oh I am drinking meth", my partner asked him where he had heard of meth since he is 9 years old, he responded to say "from you" after she told him that she has never spoken about drugs around them, he changed his story to his 8 year old friend told him, and they found out about it when they were on facebook with their mother, and then it changed to oh they just looked it up on the computer when he was asked what the other child's mother would say. I am a little concerned as the x does have a past history of drug use. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

And he could have very easily picked it up from another kid at school, a TV ad or a million other places. Just like kids pick up curse words, they pick up stuff like this too from a variety of sources. One mention isn't worth spending a great deal of time on. If it becomes a common theme or the kid mentions seeing the drugs or someone Doug drugs then there's some cause to go asking questions.

Ever notice how a kid's story will change when they sense you are unhappy about something and repeatedly questioning them about it?

Comment

I don't think drinking meth is a problem though...

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
        And he could have very easily picked it up from another kid at school, a TV ad or a million other places. Just like kids pick up curse words, they pick up stuff like this too from a variety of sources. One mention isn't worth spending a great deal of time on. If it becomes a common theme or the kid mentions seeing the drugs or someone Doug drugs then there's some cause to go asking questions.

Ever notice how a kid's story will change when they sense you are unhappy about something and repeatedly questioning them about it?
        do u think that maybe he is trying to show off in front of the other kids and when caught in the lie, keeps changing his story to try and make it seem believable?

Comment

I just found it odd how descriptive he was, and I should have put this in my original post. When I went through court my x requested I do a drug test and I was fine with that I also wanted her to take one but she said no and changed her mind about it all together

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
            do u think that maybe he is trying to show off in front of the other kids and when caught in the lie, keeps changing his story to try and make it seem believable?
            True enough, kids will say just about anything to empress their peers - and yes they are bombarded with all kinds of negative info on the net and TV. My son when he was that age thought that 'sniffing coke' meant drinking cola threw his nose with a straw and asked me why people would do that?

This sounds more like a misunderstanding than anything else.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I am going to speak to his mother and see where that leads.

Comment

Originally posted by mathewoliviera View Post
                Thanks everyone for the feedback! I am going to speak to his mother and see where that leads.
                he obviously heard it from your partner as he stated. Now you are worried about it right?

Im just kidding. Do talk to his mom but in my opinion it is the friends. It would be good to keep an eye who is he befriending with.

Comment

Lol....she is the most straight up person there is. I sent my ex a message and she did state that it is an issue and she will be talking to the other child's parent as well, the last thing I need is them talking about drugs at school or in public and something bad happens.

Comment

So your ex had a drug issue and you had no issue with it (or had but tolerated it at least for a while) and now you have a problem with that because your 8 year old said the word "meth"? God forbid your son ever say the word "pussy".

It always stinks when someone tries to use this board to seek justification for trying to destroy the relationship with a kid and his other parent.

Comment

Originally posted by BitHunter View Post
                      So your ex had a drug issue and you had no issue with it (or had but tolerated it at least for a while) and now you have a problem with that because your 8 year old said the word "meth"? God forbid your son ever say the word "pussy".

It always stinks when someone tries to use this board to seek justification for trying to destroy the relationship with a kid and his other parent.
                      Hang on. The poster said his ex had a past history of drug use (which could be said about probably 40% of the adult population), and that he was concerned because his S8 was talking about meth. How does that turn into trying to destroy Kid's relationship with Mom?

The poster got some solid advice (it's probably not a big deal, sounds like something he might have picked up from friends) and responded appropriately (emailed Mom, who will be checking with the parents of Kid's friends). Nothing "stinks" here, as far as I can see.

Comment

Never once did I state that I was trying to ruin a relationship with the child and his mother....all I said was that I was concerned and that I was looking for the advice of others on how to proceed as we have a strained relationship and communication between us is difficult. And if you read the entire thread then you would notice that I stated I would try and talk to my ex and go from there.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X