X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming to the end here?

Just a little personal rant.

FL, I don't know how you do it. I stuck around after we settled all the issues a year ago in order to give back to this forum which has helped me so much. I might also have stuck around as a form of therapy.

But I'm starting to get jaded and thinking that this board may have run it's course for me - not because of the current people, they are by and large great, just as they were when I joined. But the same issues are, not surprisingly, recycling themselves and my patience is not what it was. Some of my posts are now revealing that.

Maybe it's time to move on. Better still, maybe I have already moved on, in a sense. This place is great, thanks for everyone's help.

You are right about the posts cycling.
    Over the last few months there has been a huge shift and influx of new members (more and more from other provinces and even other countries, which says allot for the forum!!) who are not familiar with how to search the forum to find the answers to their questions that have already been answered.

In some cases, I’ll search my own posts for answers to questions I have already tried to answer and then copy them over for the new member.

You would make a good moderator.
    You have a wealth of information, particularly about asset division. This is not my strong point. I hope you stick around. Maybe just taking a break will adjust your position about the perceived redundancies of the forum.

Comment

If I bring out a chair and duct tape, you won't be going anywhere

Comment

Ok good. I thought it was just me becoming disillusioned.
        I do think in some cases people think the forum is a place to post a question and get a sure-fire answer.
        It seems to me many, many people ask but few respond. This is too bad because FL is an uncertain area and individual scenarios are good to hear about.
        I agree that you have wealth of information DTTE. Also, your situation is not the norm so you shed much light from a different angle.
        I think your responses are bang-on.

Take a break DTTE ~ but please come back because 'perky' is NOT a forum requirement and I'll miss the chuckles.

Comment

I agree with you all that the questions are recycling. I have only been here a short time and find the same issues coming up, especially division of assets when CLs break up (lately).

Could I make a suggestion? Could the webmaster put a prominent search box on the home page with a bold suggestion that posters search first before posting. There is no where to search on the home page, that I can see. If there is, sorry, I missed it and most others did too.

DTTE, your kids will know what you went through for them as they get older. You're a great Dad. Why not be a lurker and step in when you want rather than leaving completely? That's what I am going to do from now on as I don't have the knowledge needed to answer most questions. All I can offer is occasional hugs and this is not the purpose of this site. It's time to let you people from Ontario have your forum back.

Comment

I think what might help, if someone were willing to put in some time to do it, is a sort of FAQ stickied to the top of each board. Here, you could list the common questions being asked a hundred times and provide a quick summary answer and/or links to the relevant discussion threads.

The main problem with search is that it's difficult to sort through it all. If I search for something relatively specific like "spousal support reduction", I get 21 threads - many of which are several pages long. That's a lot of information to sort through, especially as many probably aren't directly related to the specific issue I may have.

Something like that would hopefully give everyone an easy way to access the basics of a question, and then if they have something more specific they need answered, they can fire away. Anyhow, easy for me to say because I'm not the one doing that work, but just tossing that out there. I know from my own experience, I've often had difficulty finding complete answers via search.

Comment

I guess us Newbies are asking the same old thing... but PLEASE try to be PATIENT WITH US.... WE NEED AND APRECIATE ALL YOUR OPINIONS.

Comment

I'm going to post these suggestions to the site coordinators.

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words. It's not the searching, or lack of it, I think there might be some ottawadivorce burnout going on. I don't like being snippy, which is what I've been lately. I'll take the suggestion and take a little break to recharge the batteries.

I'll be baaaaccckkkkkkk.

Comment

Hope you WILL be back.
                    We all need a break from time to time.
                    I have been following this forum for only a few months but could see that your advice was always very sound and informative, and I for one certainly appreciated your response to my question.
                    Also I applaud your self awareness. Best of luck on your recharge and hope to see your name back here once again sometime.

Comment

I have a different take DTTE - I think this site is a good habit to break.

You have contributed more than your share and you are very knowledgable. Thank you for all the posts of yours that I have read.

However, this site represents your past to some extent and I think the best thing for you may be to move on and put it all behind you.

Either way, best wishes to you and yours and thanks again.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X