This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to handle section 7 expenses and child support

I need to provide my ex with receipts for some sec 7 expenses and they need to be the original receipts, not copies. He doesn’t have a mailbox on his house; it’s located down the street at a community location, only a postal worker with a key can access his box, if I drop them off at his house I have to try and stick them in the door, or hand them to the kids, so I want to mail them to him. I don’t think he is going to like this.

I lack objectivity and perspective when it comes to my ex, so I don’t know if this is okay to do.

When child support is paid by offset, is it still assumed that that money is to be used for the children?

I pay an offset amount of support to him, so I don’t actually write a check to him, and he wants to start charging room and board to one child, (in full time post secondary school), and who lives with him full time. Can I do anything about this?

I need to provide my ex with receipts for some sec 7 expenses and they need to be the original receipts, not copies.
    Says who? Scanned or photocopies should be fine, as long as the information is clearly visible.

He doesn’t have a mailbox on his house; it’s located down the street at a community location, only a postal worker with a key can access his box, if I drop them off at his house I have to try and stick them in the door, or hand them to the kids, so I want to mail them to him. I don’t think he is going to like this.
    Are you worried he may try and claim he did not receive them? Send it via registered mail, signature required. Cost you approx. $10.

I pay an offset amount of support to him, so I don’t actually write a check to him,
    So he pays YOU the difference?

and he wants to start charging room and board to one child, (in full time post secondary school), and who lives with him full time. Can I do anything about this
    Well the CS is supposed to be for the child, so I would assume that if he's doing that, he no longer considers the child a child, and instead a boarder. Not much you can do, aside from offering to allow the child to live with you instead.

You *COULD* try and argue a motion in court for CS to be dispensed for that child, OR to have the CS amount allotted for that child, instead paid TO that child. Are you contributing anything towards the child's post secondary expenses?

Comment

Yes, he pays me the difference and yes I am worried he will claim he didn’t receive the receipts in the mail.

There is an RESP in place for the child and the child was also awarded a $10K scholarship that has been used for the past 2 years of school, next year the child will need to use the RESP for the fourth year of university. So neither my ex nor I contribute directly to any post secondary expenses at this time.

The child has a few part time jobs during the school year and has worked full time during the summer months between each year of school in order to pay for their own car insurance, gas, clothes, and most recently their own food (newly vegetarian and ex. won’t pay for this new diet).

Comment

Send the receipts via registered mail if he refuses to accept copies. (which should be fine unless you have a court order stating you MUST give originals)

Costs you a bit extra, but he then cannot turn around and claim he did not receive them.

Comment

I don't think it should be a problem mailing the original receipts to your ex. Make sure you have taken copies of them before you mail them. It would be best to send them by registered mail or courier (make sure you pay extra to get a signature) if you believe he's going to turn around and claim he didn't get them. But I guess you'd mail them when you have enough to warrant the cost of registered mail or courier service.

I don't think you can do anyhting about your ex charging

I don't understand what you mean by "child support is paid by offset", but if it's child support, I'd assume it's for the child(ren). I don't think any party can actually prove how the money received is being spent though.

X pays Y $500/month. Y buys something that costs about $500. X can't prove Y used the $500 child support to pay for it. Y could have used his/her own money to pay for it, or it could have been a gift from someone, or a loan. Better to pay what is owed and divert your attention as to what ex has recently purchased -- it's none of your business now.

I don't think you can do anything about him charging room and board to one teen living with him. His home, his rules. If the teen doesn't like it, then another option would be the teen living with you, board free if you're okay with that.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X