X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport provided at last minute...

Hi all,
    Trying to get a sense of what the norm is here, what is reasonable expectation.

NCP requests consent to travel, court order indicates the consent form should be provided within 10 days. OK... but do you think it is acceptible for the CP to provide the passport only at the last moment? (I know the passport is current).

Is it actionable to ask that the passport also be provided within the 10 days?

This is an issue on EVERY trip we take. And this time there were also difficulties getting the consent letter .. delay .. then last minute quibbling about handover location.

My specific worry is that she is still trying to use the passport as a bargaining chip to change the handover location (wants to come to airport to pick up child, though I can't see any benefit to this). I'm not agreeing to this because both my current girlfriend and my ex-wife (aka TAXI! - whom bio-mom has called whore/slut) will be there - talk about potential for causing a scene!

Figuring out whether I should file emergency motion on this now (departure is in 9 days!), or deal with it later via motion or just let it slide. I just really don't want to go to court and LOSE on this one.
    Last edited by dinkyface; 02-17-2011, 07:29 PM.

Pick ups/drop offs should be done at the standard location and standard times as per existing status quo unless otherwise arranged.

Either go that route and get it written into orders, OR put in that the drop off of the child to the other parent is done by the person taking the trip.

Comment

My main issue is when the passport should be provided. This last minute sh*t is causing incredible stress. But would the courts care about this?
      Last edited by dinkyface; 02-17-2011, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Gather information about how last minute bickering about drop offs/pick ups have led to the passport being unreasonably withheld and file a motion to have it being turned over with the permission letter included.

I would also include specifics about the pick up/drop off of the child as well if you think it'll help.

Comment

DF: 7-10 days is reasonable. We had to get a court order to travel to mexico and the Judge required the passport be handed over 10 days prior to departure. In our final order, the judge stated 7 days.

As far as an exchange location, NBDAD is right. Locations should be business as usual unless agreed to by both parents.

Comment

This issue has immatuirty written all over it.

To have to resort to court over such mundane details and totally ridiculous.

Comment

Well, that's getting closer to what I'm asking.

Trying not to get defensive and blame-pointing and all, but would *a judge* consider me as immature and unreasonable by refusing to change the handover location? Because (given that I have no control on my ex's behaviour) those are MY choices for ensuring the trip goes ahead:

1) get the passport by agreeing to the location change
              or
              2) get the passport by going to court
              or
              3) do nothing, and hope she hands over the passport anyway (she is out of town until Tues)

Comment

For now, go with 3 but be sure to email her, asking for the passport 7-10 days prior and state that this arrangement is customary. Every time you need the passport, send the same request. Once you have had several issues, file a motion to change. You never know, she may give you the passport in time next time because of your request.

Has an exchange location has been set in your FO? Personally, I would not allow my ex to come to the airport after my family vacation either. Talk about a horrible way to end a good time.

Comment

3 days before departure ... still no passport (and she refused to say if she has it in her possession, or when she would provide it when I asked last week). It was couriered to her over 2 weeks ago by the passport office.
                  Last edited by dinkyface; 02-23-2011, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I requested the children's SIN cards and Birth Certificates over 2 months ago so I could open bank accounts for them and deposit their xmas cheques they got from their aunts (unfortunately made out in their names). Still waiting. It's even in the SA/court order that the ID be provided by either parent on request.

Comment

Mess, if your children are young you should be able to cash their cheques at your own bank. We've been in the same situation, I just depositted them into my account through the bank machine and withdrew the money - no issues!

Comment

I'm sure I could have done that, I made the mistake of asking the manager though and got rigmarole. My daughter is getting her first job this summer and should have a bank account anyway and it's also just basicly pissing me off that she won't admit she lost their ID.

Comment

I'm sure the bank is just making sure to cover their ass but you're right, the kids should definately have their info available to them when they need it. More hoops parents shouldn't have to jump through

Comment

2 days before departure: we have a passport, thanks to last minute court action, which the judge heard immediately after I filed this morning. No change in handover location, though I can't stop her from showing up.

Comment

I never knew that SAND could be so fascinating! Or that dressing up to go to dinner so fun!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X