Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Reference

Reference Important threads

Old 04-18-2018, 03:18 PM

Dad First is on a distinguished road
Default 2017 Child Support Tables

Can someone please explain to me how even though provincial and federal income tax rates went up, when the 2011 Child Support Tables were "updated to reflect more recent tax rules" the amount went up across the board?

I try to avoid legal circles. I just try to follow the law, but I'm pissed off that the misandry and lack of accountability to provide for yourself continues to grow. Child support includes implied spousal support. I watch the welfare dependency grow.

On my top dollar I pay a combined income tax and child support burden of 67.92% for children I have 50% of the time. Obscene.

Last edited by Dad First; 04-18-2018 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Sentence structure, first paragraph.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:32 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

The tables were a little out of date when they were introduced in 2011. The update has been done to include inflation because child support is used to pay for children’s expenses. Remember too that welfare has not seen an increase and up until last year, social assistance was clawed back for support recipients.

If you have 50/50, why are you paying full table?
Old 04-18-2018, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm not paying full table. We are deducting her table amount from mine, which is always higher.

I understand inflation, but wages inflate too. The percentage shouldn't change. I was hoping it would go down to reflect the increased taxes. The top rate of tax plus CS is now 67.92% vs. 60.2% in Ontario. I have 25.1% less take home on my top dollar.

I have no idea about welfare outside of child support. We both have always worked.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:54 PM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
The update has been done to include inflation because child support is used to pay for children’s expenses.

Mathematically, this does not make sense. CS tables are basically percentage tables. Inflation should have little to no effect.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:59 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

I thought that was why they updated them. My bad.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:26 PM

Don't feel bad. I appreciate your interest. I think Janus is right because inflation affects both parties.

The new table creates higher payments at every income level.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:00 PM

That said, I believe CS tables were adjusted due to changes in taxation, or at least that was the notional reason for the "update". They rarely need a good reason to increase CS, any ol' reason will do.

I just get a little triggered when "inflation" and "percentage" are used in the same sentence, like when people try to justify why tipping percentages have increased drastically over the years.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:16 PM

Don't get me started.

Increase in income tax seems like a reason to lower rates. I don't believe they care if payers get to enjoy any of the money they earned. It's demotivating. Or maybe motivating to move to a more tax friendly regime. I think this is also how deadbeats are created.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:53 PM

Sure, but for the vast majority of people, income tax rates were lowered, which is why CS table rates were raised. You had to be making over $140,000 or so to pay higher tax.

Just because Fox News or the Canadian version of it says that taxes have increased, doesn't make it true .

Quote:
It's demotivating. Or maybe motivating to move to a more tax friendly regime.
You can find very tax friendly regimes in Somalia and other similar places, if you choose to relocate. Sadly, if you relocate within the Western World, you'll likely still have to pay CS. Pick your poison. Civilization is expensive.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:55 PM

oops, you need to actually be making over $200,000 to qualify for higher tax rates.