closed mediation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by youngdad91 View Post
    ex and I have been doing closed mediation, and we have agreed on joint custody and week about access.

Congratulations!

A concern mediator had raised way before we began is sometimes parents walk into mediation, agree, and then walk out and nothing happens.
    It is very possible, probably happens quite often.

If it does happen that the other parent changes their minds, can the final draft parenting plan be put before a judge after closed mediation?
    Of course not, otherwise the mediation would not be "closed". The entire point of closed mediation is that the draft parenting plan cannot be put before a judge. Well, I guess the real point is that the arguments cannot be put before a judge, but I imagine a judge would take a dim view of being given anything from a closed mediation session.

More to the point, unless you guys signed something and obtained independent legal advice, even an agreement reached in open mediation would be worthless.

While I like to think other parent and I are genuine about wanting to do joint custody and equal access moving forward, we are still working to build trust and there is some doubt that she may change her mind, and wondering what would or could happen in that situation ?
    then you would have wasted your time in mediation. Be very very very nice for the next few weeks until your agreement is actually signed.

Comment

Doesn't the MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) have bearing?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X