Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can my spouse start selling things that are in her name?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my spouse start selling things that are in her name?

My wife is starting to threaten me that she will sell our car. The car is ours but is registered in her name. Can she do that? I supposed she must give me half the proceeds but what if she sell it for less than market value?

If it's in her name, I suppose she techinically could.

But assets are divided by set tables by law (aren't they?) - so I suspect you would have recourse.

Comment

Originally posted by iceberg View Post
      Wife or ex wife?
      Since we both just retained legal counsel, I guess she is technically still my wife.

Comment

Do you have a Preneptual Agreement that states what property belongs to each other? Do you presently have a Separation Agreement, which sets out who owns what property? If you are married (technically) and no Domestic Contracts are in place to state ownership, then the vehicle belongs to BOTH of you, regardless of who's name is on the ownership. She could sell the car, but you would be entitled to 50% of it's value on Equalization of your Debt/Assets.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X