This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Alex Weinberger -- custody evaluator

I have searched the forum, but have not been able to find anything on Dr Weinberger.

Does anyone have experience with him doing a custody evaluation? I would like to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Many thanks.

Originally posted by AlienatedDad View Post
    I have searched the forum, but have not been able to find anything on Dr Weinberger.

Does anyone have experience with him doing a custody evaluation? I would like to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Many thanks.
    Caparelli v. Caparelli, 2012 ONSC 2324 (CanLII)
    Date: 2012-04-26
    Docket: FC-05-1813-2
    URL: CanLII - 2012 ONSC 2324 (CanLII)
    Citation: Caparelli v. Caparelli, 2012 ONSC 2324 (CanLII)

CanLII - Ontario

Two pages of results come up in Ontario for "Wieinberger custody and access" on CanLII. I highly recommend you read every one of them that comes up.

Good Luck!
    Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
      Caparelli v. Caparelli, 2012 ONSC 2324 (CanLII)
      Date: 2012-04-26
      Docket: FC-05-1813-2
      URL: CanLII - 2012 ONSC 2324 (CanLII)
      Citation: Caparelli v. Caparelli, 2012 ONSC 2324 (CanLII)

CanLII - Ontario

Two pages of results come up in Ontario for "Wieinberger custody and access" on CanLII. I highly recommend you read every one of them that comes up.

Good Luck!
      Tayken
      Thanks. Looked at a few of these. They really don't say a whole lot, other than the judge agrees with this or that aspect of Weinberger's report, that he has been retained by the parties, etc. Will try to dig a little deeper.

I would like to know if others have had experiences with him. If there were any biases in his reports, if he overlooked evidence, etc. One thing that concerns me is that he is a therapist as well as a custody evaluator. I have read that the therapist in the evaluator can often take over and they can favour one party over the other in a non-objective way.

Comment

Originally posted by AlienatedDad View Post
        Thanks. Looked at a few of these. They really don't say a whole lot, other than the judge agrees with this or that aspect of Weinberger's report, that he has been retained by the parties, etc. Will try to dig a little deeper.

I would like to know if others have had experiences with him. If there were any biases in his reports, if he overlooked evidence, etc. One thing that concerns me is that he is a therapist as well as a custody evaluator. I have read that the therapist in the evaluator can often take over and they can favour one party over the other in a non-objective way.
        Tip: Make sure the contract you sign explicitly outlines the "clinical" role that any S.30 evaluator is playing. They can't and should not be playing a "dual role" as "therapist" and "investigator".

So, pay close attention to the contract details. Explicitly state in the contract that they are being retained for "medical investigative purposes" and not "therapeutic" purposes.

Furthermore, make sure that the contract clearly outlines that the person in question is to act in full accordance with their governing bodies Rules and Regulations and the various medical Acts.

Finally, that they are to clearly state what is a subjective, objective, assessment, plan and or "medical diagnosis" in their report and that they are to provide the "evidence based medicine" in support of any "diagnosis" they provide.

Remember, that the investigator is being retained under S.30 to give the court a view to what is in the children's "best interests" and do not sign a contract for which the professional can play the dual role of "medical practitioner" and "investigator".

If the investigator has concerns about the "mental health" of the parents beyond what is allowable under S.30 and their clinical practices to non-patients then they should request that both parents undergo full psychological testing on consent from both parties. The psychological evaluation of both parents should come from an independent third party who is acting in the capacity of a practitioner of medicine and not an "investigator".

Good Luck!
        Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
          Tip: Make sure the contract you sign explicitly outlines the "clinical" role that any S.30 evaluator is playing. They can't and should not be playing a "dual role" as "therapist" and "investigator".

So, pay close attention to the contract details. Explicitly state in the contract that they are being retained for "medical investigative purposes" and not "therapeutic" purposes.

Furthermore, make sure that the contract clearly outlines that the person in question is to act in full accordance with their governing bodies Rules and Regulations and the various medical Acts.

Finally, that they are to clearly state what is a subjective, objective, assessment, plan and or "medical diagnosis" in their report and that they are to provide the "evidence based medicine" in support of any "diagnosis" they provide.

Remember, that the investigator is being retained under S.30 to give the court a view to what is in the children's "best interests" and do not sign a contract for which the professional can play the dual role of "medical practitioner" and "investigator".

If the investigator has concerns about the "mental health" of the parents beyond what is allowable under S.30 and their clinical practices to non-patients then they should request that both parents undergo full psychological testing on consent from both parties. The psychological evaluation of both parents should come from an independent third party who is acting in the capacity of a practitioner of medicine and not an "investigator".

Good Luck!
          Tayken
          While I agree with everything in here, and this is great advice for anyone looking for these services.
          I think he is looking specifically for anyone who has actually used Dr.Weinberger.
          Read all the caselaw AlienatedDad. If you spoke to everyone he has assessed you will get people who are on all areas of the spectrum from people who loved him to people who hate him. What is most important is what the Judges think of his assessments.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X