Spousal Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spousal Support

I was divorced almost 10 years ago. I had full custody of my son.

I was supposed to pay a certain amount per month for 10 years.

On the agreement it also said " and thereafter, can be reviewed."

Now that time 10 years is coming to end soon. I am planning for next line of action.

1. What could happen now.
    2. Should I just keep quite, as I use to give post dated cheque to common friend.
    3. Do I really need a lawyer this time, I can straight go to court / judge and tell them it has been very hard for me, now I am getting old, and have to support my son for university studies.
    4. Can my ex still come come to me and ask for more extension. Please note my ex doesn't work / do not want to work at all. So never paid any child support either.
    5. " and thereafter, can be reviewed." is make me worried .

Please help.

Do I really need a lawyer this time, I can straight go to court / judge and tell them it has been very hard for me, now I am getting old, and have to support my son for university studies.
    This is a profoundly naïve statement. Sorry but it doesn't work like that.

Yes you need a lawyer, at least to to consult with and map out your case. As well as determining if you qualify for termination.

No one here can answer this question. It will turn on the full agreement, the nature of your marriage, your financial situation, her financial situation and duration of the marriage.

Comment

It's common to have a "review" date rather than an end date for spousal support. What the "review" is based on will depend on everything kinso said. Whether a review is needed depends on the wording. You may need to impute, but definitely speak with a lawyer.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X