Have I proved a material change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I proved a material change?

This is with respect to a Motion to change custody and access (filed 6 months after final consent order).

It has been before courts for a little over 2 years now. One case conference and 3 settlement conferences. My initial pleadings are not for 50/50 and I have been seeking 50-50 at the settlement conferences. There has been no settlement and I have discussed a motion to amend if there is no settlement but have been advised by courts that focus hearing should happen first before amending. I have been informed by counsel that the rules allow me to amend if I wish.

A focus hearing was ordered for issue of material change but it never took place. It was adjourned due to interim motions filed by me for disclosure, holidays, etc. Due to motion delays and pending CAS disclosure, there has been many adjournments. Focus hearing was eventually vacated and the courts wanted to discuss next steps on my MTC (which would have been to appoint OCL, amend, and possibly set a trial date.)

OCL was requested initially at case conference but was turned down without valid reasons and later turned down on leave for motion (as part of disclosure motion) as it was suggested that focus hearing must happen first.

There was change of counsel and new counsels put the matter back for a settlement conference and I re-raised OCL request. So there was the 3 initial settlement conferences and the recent one following the focus hearing being vacated. I was granted leave for OCL motion and it ended up going on consent and the courts approved.

Issue of material change wasn't raised at the last SC. Have I proven a material change at this point or is this something that still needs to be proven ?

We are currently preparing for an interim motion to amend for 50/50, expand access to school drop off and pick ups with a contempt portion for a recent denial of access.

Have I proven a material change at this point
    Do you have an endorsement or Order that states that the court has found that a material change in circumstances has occurred?

If yes - material change is proven.
    If no - evidence of the material change will need to be adduced at the final hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
      If no - evidence of the material change will need to be adduced at the final hearing.
      That's the answer. Next question is, can the OCL find a material change i.e., by suggesting changes to custody and access ?

Comment

Originally posted by trinton View Post
        That's the answer. Next question is, can the OCL find a material change i.e., by suggesting changes to custody and access ?
        OCL can find whatever they want. They could say "Material Change" in big bold letters .. but a judge has final say if one actually occurred.

Comment

Originally posted by LovingFather32 View Post
          OCL can find whatever they want. They could say "Material Change" in big bold letters .. but a judge has final say if one actually occurred.
          Agreed. Now I'm trying to understand why a judge would entertain my request for OCL by granting me leave for motion and ultimitely appointing OCL.

It has been my understanding that a material change must be proven before OCL is appointed. I believe that argument was made by opposing counsel the very first time I tried to slip in an OCL request in one of my previous leaves for interim motion. I think I also read that on Canli somewhere.

Did judge possibly feel there has been a material change when judge granted leave this time around? The only thing judge said when leave was granted for OCL this time around was this has become very contentious and 7 year old caught in middle needs a voice and some peace. Other parent was of course opposing and was warned against costs.
          Last edited by trinton; 05-25-2017, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trinton View Post
            Agreed. Now I'm trying to understand why a judge would entertain my request for OCL by granting me leave for motion and ultimitely appointing OCL.

It has been my understanding that a material change must be proven before OCL is appointed. I believe that argument was made by opposing counsel the very first time I tried to slip in an OCL request in one of my previous leaves for interim motion. I think I also read that on Canli somewhere.

Did judge possibly feel there has been a material change when judge granted leave this time around? The only thing judge said when leave was granted for OCL this time around was this has become very contentious and 7 year old caught in middle needs a voice and some peace. Other parent was of course opposing and was warned against costs.
            what are the typical steps in motion to change after first appearance.. I can only see that there is a case conference.. is it the same as normal course of family matter in that there is then settlement conference.. trial etc.. or is there a special hearing after case conference?

Comment

first appearance
              case conference
              settlement conference
              focus hearing re: material change and/or trial

Comment

Originally posted by tunnelight View Post
                first appearance
                case conference
                settlement conference
                focus hearing re: material change and/or trial
                Thanks.. i notice in some districts they have a meeting with a mediator type before case conference..

Is the case conference, settlement conference, trial truncated or the same time frame as a regular family law matter?

Comment

first appearance ( could be multiple)
                  Dro conference (could be multiple)
                  If possible do an offer to settle
                  case conference ( might happen, could be multiple)
                  settlement conference( could be multiple)
                  Trial management scheduling conference
                  Trial management conference ( might happen)
                  Trial ( might happen if your unlucky/lucky)
                  Good luck make a reasonable offer as soon as possible one you can live with listening to a good lawyer is key, you may not like what they are saying to offer but if your dealing with an high conflict parent, it will provide to be better for you if you get to trial

Comment

Originally posted by Dtothree View Post
                    first appearance ( could be multiple)
                    Dro conference (could be multiple)
                    If possible do an offer to settle
                    case conference ( might happen, could be multiple)
                    settlement conference( could be multiple)
                    Trial management scheduling conference
                    Trial management conference ( might happen)
                    Trial ( might happen if your unlucky/lucky)
                    Good luck make a reasonable offer as soon as possible one you can live with listening to a good lawyer is key, you may not like what they are saying to offer but if your dealing with an high conflict parent, it will provide to be better for you if you get to trial
                    Appreciate it.. great advice!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X