Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadly some parents really believe that children should be able to chose where they want to live, even when it is to their detriment. Children of the marriage should be able to chose where they want to live when they are adults, just as children from parents who stay together do. This is one of the bonuses of being children - you are shielded from making adult decisions and able to just be a child.

CSM78 - the example that you gave is a very rare one (hopefully) and the events in that young girls life forced her to grow up far too quickly. She was forced into adult situations and eventually became an adult in a child's body, thus able to make adult decisions.

Most children aren't capable of fully understanding consequences and shouldn't be making adult decisions.

Comment

CSM78 Seriously, at what age do you think that a child (not abused) should be able to decide unilaterally where they want to live?

Comment

I think that it has to be determined case by case, IF a family is in court and it is clear they cannot agree, and they are going to drag their children through hell, I think the Judge should be allowed to speak to the child. IF we as parents and grown ups cannot act like grown ups and our children are acting more like adults then we are, it is clear there is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ConcernenedStepMom78 View Post
          I think that it has to be determined case by case, IF a family is in court and it is clear they cannot agree, and they are going to drag their children through hell, I think the Judge should be allowed to speak to the child. IF we as parents and grown ups cannot act like grown ups and our children are acting more like adults then we are, it is clear there is a problem.
          TOTAL fantasy. Do you really think that the state has the resources to train judges to be child psychologists? Or that a psychologists's half hour with a child will suffice?

That's what government and private assessments are designed to do!!!

And those professionals will clearly tell you that children don't have the capacity to make those decisions!!!!!

Holy bang my head against a ginormous wall Batman!!!!

Comment

Yeah... make the child choose. They probably don't feel bad enough about things already...

My ex forced the kids to choose between us, and they chose me. And I STILL think that was a horrible thing to do, and I would roll back the clock if I could. It's abuse.

Gary

Comment

I think that in family law Judges and lawyers should be requred to take psychology courses.

Comment

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
                And those professionals will clearly tell you that children don't have the capacity to make those decisions!!!!!
                So would ANYBODY who has a degree in psychology.

I'm just sayin' ...

Gary

Comment

I think that in family law Judges and lawyers should be requred to take psychology courses.
                  YouTube - Lesley Gore - Sunshine, Lollipops And Rainbows (with Lyrics)

Comment

Brilliant - another 4 years in university for them all... I bet that their costs would only rise by, oh, 400% or so....

Psychology is not their job... that's why we have psychologists.

Familiy law pratitioners are concerned with the Law and Truth (at least ostensibly so) and don't need to know how to get in people's heads: They have experts to do that for them.

Gary

Comment

SOrry I broght anyhting up, I thought I could help people see some different views
                      Last edited by ConcernenedStepMom78; 01-06-2011, 05:20 PM.

Comment

The 1989 United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, children have the right to a nurturing environment in accordance with their developmental needs; the right to have their voices heard in accordance with their ages; the right to legal representation; and the right to economic and emotional support from their parents and from the state.

Comment

the right to have their voices heard in accordance with their ages
                          You said it.... In accordance with their ages.

Comment

Holy crap CSM78 come back form Dreamland.

Dollars are not falling from the sky to fund all this.

We don't live in Utopia. We have to make choices that involve costs/benefits.

Comment

Thats what I was trying to say to begin with, it is case by case, one 12 year old may be completely mature while another 12 year old may not. There may be a child of 8 or 9 who is more mature than a 12 year old.

It is truly case my case, and circumstance by cirmstance.

Comment

Where's that kitten Kimberley?

I give up.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X