X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filing for divorce before deportation

Hi all,
    i am being deported (not allowed into Canada for 1yr) next month, as an overstay on my visa (x didn't sign sponsorship papers, left and called immigration, telling them I was out of status)

In Ireland, separation must be for 5 years....

Can i file for divorce before i leave, or do i have to wait the year till i am allowed return to Canada?

thanks.....

If you have been resident in your jurisdiction for not less than one year then you have standing to bring an application.

Comment

no, been here for 2 years, but i wont be in Canada for the full process,
      its looking like i will be leaving Jan 29th......
      can the divorce be done if i am not here, and i have a person act on my behalf.

thanks....

Comment

notaclue, I am not a lawyer, but if I recall you can ask for a stay on the deportation and explain why. I would also contact your local MP and explain the situation and see what can be done, that is if you want to stay in Canada.

Comment

Sorry for double post, but here is something that might be of some help. http://resources.lss.bc.ca/pdfs/pubs...akdown_eng.pdf

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X