Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 02:46 PM

billm is on a distinguished road

I think it comes down to this CRA paragraph

"If you and another person were required to make support payments for the child in 2010 and, as a result, no one would be entitled to claim either this amount or the amount for an eligible dependant for the child, you can still claim this amount providing you and the other person(s) paying support agree you will be the one making the claim. If you cannot agree who will claim this amount for the child, neither of you can make the claim."

What situation could this possible apply to other than the offset method?

Does anyone know what this could be referring to other than the offset method?
Old 05-30-2011, 04:00 PM

lynx002ca is on a distinguished road

billm - I started this thread because I was rejected last year and, like you, now have been rejected again this year. Based on the responses from people I thought it was worth a shot.

I have no idea how anybody pulled this off except you have to get "the right person" to review it, that's the only thing I can think of, otherwise it's pretty black and white.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:28 PM

billm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx002ca View Post
I have no idea how anybody pulled this off except you have to get "the right person" to review it, that's the only thing I can think of, otherwise it's pretty black and white.
I don't think its black and white - what does the exclusion paragraph that I posted mean? It is not black and white to me! What is the situation they are referring to where two people are paying support and no one is eligible to claim a dependent, and if so, one of them can?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:07 AM

lynx002ca is on a distinguished road

I know that's confusing but anyone I've talked always says the same thing...if you pay $1 of child support you can not claim ANY of your children. That seems to take precedent over any other nonsense CRA has on their site.

Basically, they need a rewrite because obviously some things there cause confusion. More importantly, they need to change this law, one of the worst tax laws in the country. Anybody who pays child support in a 50/50 split should be eligible to claim "half" of the kids, it couldn't be more clearer in my mind.
Closed Thread