Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:34 AM

newlifenewme is on a distinguished road
Default Step Parent attending Parent Teacher Meeting

Hi,

I wanted to get your options on whether it is a good idea to have a step-parent attend a parent teacher conference?

We have a parent teacher conference where the kids will be able to take us around the class room to show us what they have been doing for the year and last year the ex brought his partner without letting me or the children know and it was very awkward.

I would rather keep this to just the parents of the children but the ex may insist on bring his partner again.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:49 AM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Not a hill to die on. There are no rules on that. You can always set up your own appointment with just the teacher and you. Highly doubt your ex is going to respect your request so best just to assume the step parent will be there.

I personally have never attended one as a step parent but my nieces step mother goes to them all and there is nothing my sister can do about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2019, 12:09 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Is she a part of your child’s life? Does your child spend time with her? Then let her go and let your child show both their father and their step parent all of the things about their school and classroom.

This issue is with you NOT your child. You are putting YOUR issues before the child. If you want your child to have a healthy relationship with their other parent and that parent’s partner, you need to let the child include them in their experience.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:14 PM

pinkmorganite is on a distinguished road

I agree with the others.
You refer to this woman as their step mother, so obviously you are acknowledging that she plays a role in their life.
So it should not be "awkward" that she's there.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:32 PM

dad2bandm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Is she a part of your child’s life? Does your child spend time with her? Then let her go and let your child show both their father and their step parent all of the things about their school and classroom...

Yeah, I think this is the key part. The original poster mentions Dad's partner is a "step-parent", so it sounds like she's involved in the kids' lives, or at least has an interest in it. So why is it an issue? If it was Dad's new girl of the month, or the kids didn't know the woman, that would be a different story.

My son's step-Dad attends the school nights/functions all the time, and it's not an issue at all.

"very awkward" - for who? The kids, or just Mom?
Old 11-22-2019, 07:17 PM

ele110 is on a distinguished road

I would hate it but try to ignore and focus on the kid.
On my end neither OP nor spouse attend interviews!