Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:05 PM

YoungDad23 is on a distinguished road
Default Dad Not Guilty After Taking Away Kid's Phone on His Time

Wow, just WOW! The attitude of some parents just blows my mind.

When dad took 12 yr old kid's phone away for inappropriate texting, mom called police to make him give it back. 3 years and a jury trial later:

Dallas dad not guilty for taking tween daughter's phone | WKYC.com
Old 01-27-2016, 05:51 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

How simple could it have been if he shared the inappropriate texts and his concerns with the ex, and advised he was removing the phone during his parenting time, and it would be returned to the parent’s possession at the commencement of her parenting time for her further action? Or a united family discussion on what is, and what is not, appropriate on social media?

Instead, a classic ‘cut off the nose, to spite the face’:

“Jackson says the ordeal has permanently ended any chances to have a relationship with his daughter.
"I have to separate myself from them," Jackson says. "I can't ever have a relationship with them again."

He doesn’t seem to be bothered by that loss of his child's relationship - perhaps because he didn't become actively involved in the child’s life until she was 7?
Old 01-27-2016, 06:27 PM

YoungDad23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdreamy View Post
He doesn’t seem to be bothered by that loss of his child's relationship - perhaps because he didn't become actively involved in the child’s life until she was 7?
I noticed that he had been absent for quite a bit of the daughter's life and also that the mother called the police when the phone was taken away instead of the two of them trying to find a way to deal with the child's behaviour together.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:56 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

No doubt, there's no winner here. This could have ended so differently for the 3 of them if either parent had paused for a moment and communicated with each other, before acting.

Hopefully, in a few years this child will mature and realize she deserves a solid relationship with both parents and will seek him out, to see if he is still interested in participating.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:29 PM

LovingFather32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungDad23 View Post
I noticed that he had been absent for quite a bit of the daughter's life and also that the mother called the police when the phone was taken away instead of the two of them trying to find a way to deal with the child's behaviour together.
Mom called the police over a phone? Wow. Talk about high conflict.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:44 PM

FormerFather88 is on a distinguished road

Umm, that's not really all that high conflict. My ex doesn't need any taking of phones to call the police. Just last week she called them to say she's afraid of me for knocking on her door. Which I did because the last officer she called said I should and if there were any problems, call them back. This time, I was told not to trespass on her property or I would be charged with criminal harassment, but that I should keep videotaping everything.

And that's just a teensy bit of four years of intense diabolical whackjobbery that absolutely nobody will acknowledge is pathological and highly harmful to the children.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:58 PM

Beachnana is on a distinguished road

Huh. My daughters ex called the police when he creeping on her Facebook and saw a picture taken in California by her sister and she was tagged in it. Police arrived knocking on the door and found my daughter and grandson sitting on the beanbag reading!

They were not impressed. He then further used the same picture in a sworn affidavit, to accuse her of not being with their son and not informing him. We just lauded and sent him a copy of the police report which referred to him as a nuisance caller.

Clearly no relationship will ever be settled here.

This could be a new thread though. "Crazy phone calls ex's make to thermocline and how to handle them"
Old 01-29-2016, 02:39 PM

FightingForFamily will become famous soon enough

I hope my ex wife doesn't see this. She would probably consider it brilliant to call the police and file charges of theft if my son forgot any of his things at my house.

She has actually threatened this in the past. I had picked up some of our son's medication from the pharmacy (for ADHD) and she sent me an e-mail telling me she would call the police and have me arrested on drug charges if I didn't send the medication to her house.

Apparently, doing so could give her at the very least the satisfaction of seeing me dragged away in chains in the middle of the night, jailed, and losing any relationship with our son.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:27 PM

LovingFather32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdreamy View Post
How simple could it have been if he shared the inappropriate texts and his concerns with the ex, and advised he was removing the phone during his parenting time, and it would be returned to the parent’s possession at the commencement of her parenting time for her further action? Or a united family discussion on what is, and what is not, appropriate on social media?

Instead, a classic ‘cut off the nose, to spite the face’:

“Jackson says the ordeal has permanently ended any chances to have a relationship with his daughter.
"I have to separate myself from them," Jackson says. "I can't ever have a relationship with them again."

So it's all dad's fault? Sure he could have communicated better. But she called the police? They both made bad moves, but mom's I believe to be the most irrational in this situation, regardless of which parent was the better one in the past.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:01 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

I wish my ex-wife would pull crap like this, just further her level insanity for my children... I think if you are the better parent, it just shows up day after day and if you raised your child to learn right from wrong one day when you want to impose punishement on that basis then they will understand.

We'll see if I am right or my kids just screw off

I believe in carrot and stick...